2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a 2.2 Diesel with very high mileage, in addition, I am unsure of the service history.

I am planning a full service as brake pads and discs need doing and am making a shopping list and need some advice.

I am planning on changing:

Oil Filter - Sump Washer - Air Filter - Fuel Filter - Pollen Filter

Oil - Transmission Fluid - Coolant - Power Steering - Brake Fluid

My questions are

1. Do I need Clutch Fluid?
2. What Transmission, Power Steering, Brake and Clutch Fluid shall I use?
3. Do diesels have spark plugs?
4. Have I forgot anything?

Many thanks

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Hi

I have a 2.2 Diesel with very high mileage, in addition, I am unsure of the service history.

I am planning a full service as brake pads and discs need doing and am making a shopping list and need some advice.

My questions are

Many thanks
Not sure about clutch fluid but you won't need power steering fluid as it's electric on the Civic.

Diesels have glow plugs instead of spark plugs. Unless you're having trouble starting the car they probably won't need changing.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
anyone that needs to know if a diesel needs spark plugs, with all due respect, shouldn't be servicing their own vehicle. there, I've said it. how many others thought it??

·
Registered
186 Posts
It has a warning lamp which comes on if electric power steering has an issue so very sure

brake and clutches most likely share the same fluid.

Remember the old adage, if it aint broke dont fix it. Changing parts unnecessarily may cause you more headaches. Save your money for clutch/DMF when it goes

·
Ex-Pat Geordie! and Moderator
2,617 Posts
Oil - Use 0w-30 as recommended or 5w-30...... I've been running mine on 5w-30 Fully Synthetic for over 40k...

Filters - You can go OEM but I change mine more than the Honda recomended interval so just go with Auto Shop and costs about £18 for Oil, Air and Pollen Filters..

Spark Plugs - Just don't ask that question again about a Derv :rolleyes:

Sump Plug - Never changed it and mine doesn't leak.. Just make sure you give it a good clean, i you go OEM you get a new one.

Coolant - Dip your finger tip in and then taste it, if it's sweet, it's ok, if not, change it..

Fuel Filter - Always go OEM, never get aftermarket. You'll end up with fault codes.... Oh! and be prepared for some skinned Knuckles etc due to it's location....

One thing you didn't mention is EGR Valve, there is an excellent "How to" on here in the Wiki section... As with fuel filter, be prepared for some skinned Knuckles. you can get the gasket kit from Cox Motor spares, email them after you've registered and you'll get a Civinfo discount.

Happy motoring :D

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Hi

My questions are

Many thanks
the question of sparks plugs hmmmm concerning that one with respect intended,, fuel filter change on these civic diesels are a total pain in backside for qualified mechanics let alone someone with no experience, word of advise if filter is not done correctly with all air bled out to high pressure pump before you try and start the car, you will more than likely damage the pump,, £300-£600 bill for pump. as pump will run dry and it relies on diesel to lubricate,,

·
2,617 Posts
****! just realised too that this thread was 3yr old.... Whatever happened to Supercat? IS his Goose Cooked due to Shoddy Brake work or did he / she turn to dust waiting three years for people to give advice? the plot thickens dudes.... :facepalm:

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,920 Posts
****! just realised too that this thread was 3yr old.... Whatever happened to Supercat? IS his Goose Cooked due to Shoddy Brake work or did he / she turn to dust waiting three years for people to give advice? the plot thickens dudes.... :facepalm:
And there was me thinking that was a really subtle and clever flux capacitor/time travel joke you cracked a few posts back? D'oh!

Supercat last logged in just over a year ago. So did survive the DIY service. Phew...

·
2,617 Posts
And there was me thinking that was a really subtle and clever flux capacitor/time travel joke you cracked a few posts back? D'oh!

Supercat last logged in just over a year ago. So did survive the DIY service. Phew...
I'm not that Smart Jon, must have been a subconscious moment of Genius ;)
Neil.

Reactions: Jon_G
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.