2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've just had my clutch replaced on a 2.2 diesel at 18k. This appears to be a common problem that Honda will not fix under warranty.

I've had my clutch replaced at a local Garage (a friend runs the garage) and now have the old parts available for inspection. Both the flywheel and clutch cover still have their original machining marks and and the clutch plate is heaviliy glazed, but showed minimal wear when compared with the new item.

When ordering the new parts we were unofficially told that the diesel clutches are a problem and the parts guy said Honda had replaced many but avoided warranty claims...if they admit there's a problem they may need to fix many cars under warranty...and they or the UK manufacturer of the clutch (LUK) don't have a fix

I've had a number of conversation with Honda UK customer services and thay just state it's wear and tear and will not pay. They have now stopped answering my emails because I asked for the name and address of the Honda UK customer services director.

So here's my plan.
It appears Honda don't want to admit there's a problem. So intend to approach What Car and BBC watchdog to force Honda UK into action. A colleague contacted What car about the reoccuring gearbox problem on a Nissan and What Car ran a one page article.

I'd like to collect the details of people on here with the same clutch slip problem so I can provide What car with the evidence that this isn't a one off fault.

Thanks
Trevor

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree Trevor, well done. I have already posted my comments on the "Clutch Failure" thread. Let me know if you need any more info from me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update

I now have the old clutch and have measured it using instructions from the Honda Cvic service manual.

The clutch plate is 0.0001" (1/4 the thickness of a piece of paper) smaller that the recommended minimum size for a new clutch (8.7mm) and well above 7.2mm minimum wear limit.
Both the cluch cover and flywheel are well within the specificied limits and both still have the original machining marks (striations) made during original manufacture.

I can post pictures if needed.

I have written to the MD of Honda UK today and attached 22 pages of pictures of my clutch and pages copied from the Honda service manual. I am also following other avenues to get my money back and Honda to admit there's a problem.

I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi clutch failure 2500 miles

I am very interested in this thread and our experience seems to beat all!

My son collected his new car on 10th December. It broke down on the M25 with clutch failure on the 22nd January 2009 with clutch failure. The vehicle was recovered by the AA and taken back to the main dealer where we expected it to be repaired under warranty.

On examination both the clutch plates and flywheel were damaged and photos sent to Honda who immediately refused to repair under warranty claiming driver misuse.

My son is a sensible 33 year old who has been driving for 15 years and has never experienced any previous clutch problems. This car was his pride and joy and to suggest that he has misused it in some way is ludicrous. Needless to say the main dealer is also refusing to accept any liability.

We have been quoted £2000-2500 for repairs and are currently at a stalemate. I am now writting to BBC Watchdog to raise this as a public interest story

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Features, from what you say, that sounds just a bit fishy to me, do you trust your dealer ?. First, the price you have been quoted is at least £1000 too expensive. Second, Honda's response sounds very quick, do you have it in writing from Honda or is that just the dealer's say-so. I would be asking a lot of questions if I were you, in particular, what evidence they are using to conclude that driver misuse is the cause.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the feedback we were shocked on the price as well but apparently the flywheel is also damaged and needs replacing hence another £1000 in parts.

We have nothing in writting at present but we have been in touch with Trading Standards and have now written to Clover Leaf Cars, Reading who is the main dealer and supplier of the vehicle giving them 7 days notice to respond before legal action is taken.

I have also written to BBC Watchdog today it would help if others who have had similar experiences could do the same, simply go on the BBC Watchdog website and complete the on-line form.

Advice from Trading Standards is that under the Supply of Goods Act it is the Trader eg the main dealer who has the liability and the warranty is in addition to the legal requirements. For others interest there is apparently a reverse burden of proof for the trader to prove that damage was caused by the purchaser.

Having spoken to my companys Fleet Manager it is possible that the clutch may have been damaged when the vehicle was driven onto the transporter prior to delivery. It has been known for other makes.

Needless to say we are most disolutioned and angry with Honda and Clover Leaf Cars and their complete absence of any customer focus.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
My son collected his new car on 10th December. It broke down on the M25 with clutch failure on the 22nd January 2009 with clutch failure.
Hi Features - first of all, sorry to hear about the issues with your son's car and the problems you're having with the dealer and their scary prices. Good luck with your claim.

Second, I think this is the first time I've read of clutch failure like this on the Civic - usually it's a slipping clutch or juddering caused by the flywheel but car remains driveable. Can you describe what happened please - and was your son experiencing any slipping or juddering from the clutch before it failed altogether?

Thanks in advance,
Morris Minor

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,171 Posts
it seams any one with a 2.2 diesel has a ticking time bomb. mine as well as others will go off when the warrenty has expired. if there is a problem with the DMF then honda should know which batch it will affect. as there seams to early and late cars affected i would say it covers all of them, so are honda going todo a recall and replace all the clutches and DMF? i dont think so as the cost would be to much. all im going to say is if mine fails then i wont ever buy another honda, so that would cost them alot more. ive suffered judder but its now gone. also it seams poorly adjusted cruise control switches can cause a clutch to slip, ive never had any slipping and dont want it, time will tell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My son indicated that he had not experienced any problems with the car until he got on the M25 when he found the gear change becoming increasingly difficult. He was approaching the Dartford turnoff (his destination) when he found he could not locate any gear. He managed to get over onto the hard shoulder and stop.

He is out of the country until tomorrow so cant ask any further details of him at present. I seem to recall that he found the clutch quite fierce when he first got the car but then again he had been driving a Transit for the past 15 years.

This was his first brand new car and I cannot believe that he would do anything to abuse it by driving badly. What the hell do you do to do this amount of damage in 2500 miles??????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Pottsy
No we havent got any photographs but I may be asking for them or at least an independant inspection. Still shell shocked over the decision

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Many thanks Features for describing what happened - maybe the kind of thing that could happen if the car had done 100K +, but certainly not after just 2500!

Even if it were 'abused' I would think that a newish clutch would overheat and slip rather than catastrophically damage the DMF. And I don't know how someone can abuse a clutch on an M-way....

You and your son really must challenge the dealer on this one. I'm surprised at their attitude and speed of dismissing this as driver 'abuse'.

Honda seem to take great pride in saying they haven't had warranty claims on their v-tec engines - pity same can't be said about clutches and shock absorbers!

Morris Minor

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yet Another Problem !

have a slipping clutch on my 2.2 Diesel, it went to the stealer for investigation today, it slipped 5 or 6 times on 20 mile journey there, yet strangely they couldnt find a problem!? Is it a coincidence they reminded me my warranty is up in 6 months time aswell?!

I can see a scenario happening here where I take the car into the stealers several times with no joy...............until its out of warranty where they acknowlege there is a problem.

It again slipped 3 times on the journey back (although maybe this was down to my anger at their incompetence!)

Having had a recurring flat battery, a front fog break for no reason and a handbreak slip off and cause a lot of damage (Honda reluctantly paid for damage on this occasion) i'm a bit sick of it!

What does anyone reckon about my conspiricy theory ? I will continue with updates as and when!

1 - 20 of 106 Posts