2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help . my civic has been great, got to 93,000 mile and is now starting badly .Had a full service this week and no improvement , it will bump start easy and goes well .the service checks reported no faults and fitter was struggling , how can it go so well but not start ?

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
On all of my cars i remove and charge the battery once before winter and once before summer just to make sure its upto full charge as the weather really saps them?

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
sounds like it could be a battery issue more so than anything if it starts easy with a bump and goes well doesnt sound like fuelling, change/charge the battery and see if it makes a difference...

ps I was there for the last roar at roker in '97 ;)

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
Aye hell of a place, I was only a kid then like but I remember it well, first season in the premier league if I remember rightly!

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
Sorry that was off topic, yeah I would go battery first do no harm to charge it up and then if it makes no difference well I would give everything a good blast out with Redex/BG244 and a long motorway run, and see where you stand...

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
When servicing they may say they check it but rarely do even if they state they do! Definately just whack it on charge over night even if it doesnt fix the problem youll have a full battery :D

Im not too clued up on the honda diesels but could it be glow plugs? Dont mean to sound like im teaching my grandmother to suck eggs but do you turn ignition on and wait for a few seconds to start?

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
In the words of my answerphone - "after the beep"

·
grease monkey
132 Posts
i would be getting the garage or someone to check your glow plugs?
maybe try this, turn ign on till glow plug light goes off,then turn off and on again, then repeat 3 - 4 times, then see how it starts.

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
I'm no expert so may be wrong but after 93000 miles could it not just be your battery is old so to speak, Takes a charge but doesnt hold it as long as it used to. i had a similar problem with an old petrol Volvo, battery would charge up easily but overnight would loose it all. 1X New battery and we got another 300000 miles out of the Volvo!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
battery and glow plugs seem to be mentioned with this problem on previous pages , my real problem is they quoted £1600 for a fuel pump although computer says no faults and then another £400 plus vat to fit but no gaurantee it will solve the problem

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
I'm no expert so may be wrong but after 93000 miles could it not just be your battery is old so to speak, Takes a charge but doesnt hold it as long as it used to. i had a similar problem with an old petrol Volvo, battery would charge up easily but overnight would loose it all. 1X New battery and we got another 300000 miles out of the Volvo!!
Good old volvos ;) But definately +1 on the losing charge business once its charged you can see how it starts then go from there! Let us know though :popcorn:

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
Tell the garage no youll do it yourself! Try the cheap options first! I wouldnt shell out that sort of money without doing everything! check particle filter, battery etc and finally more quotes and views from independants!

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
Definately does the world of good waiting!

But as it can be bump started i would of thought it would be down to lack of current worth a try though as its free/cheap to charge!
But it might take long enough to get a bump that the heater plugs have had plenty of chance to get hot??? (Maybe)

Defo charge battery first and if not cured then go looking for the problem from there, start with the easy likely bits!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.