2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, it's been a while since i was last on the site (boring things like a wedding, house move and children have gotten in the way), and i must say the new layout
looks (y)

The old civic is still doing me proud and has not put a foot wrong over the last 22k miles since i bought it.

But during it's last check over i noticed the drive belt is starting to look a little bit past it and could do with changing. I have consulted the 'oracle' that is google and spoke to my local parts place and have come up with differing answers, so I was hoping that 1 of the gurus on here would be able to clear up the confusion.

The 2 different part numbers i have been given are 7PK1640 & 7PK1645. I have also been told that Honda have revised the routing of the belt due to it causing adverse wear on the alternator, so I am presuming the numbers are for the old and new belts.

I am hoping somebody can clear up the confusion and point me to the correct belt I will need as I would like to get it changed sooner rather than later.

Thanks again guys.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,860 Posts
The revised i-CTDi belt routing was for the early (pre-2006) engines only, so never affected the 2.2 Civic (I actually had to do this revision on my Accord though, although the lengths do not apply to the Civic due to the different power steering types)... the difference in length was surprising large, so doesn't explain the 5mm you're worried about here. I think many suppliers round to the nearest 5mm and some to the nearest 10mm!

A quick search of this site suggests that either belt length has been recommended, which doesn't surprise me as the tensioner has a large range...
Other - Aux belt
Other - Alternator Fan Belt for 2006 2.2 FN3

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah so the change of route was for the accord only?

I will pick up a belt on the way to work in the morning and set to it once my serpentine spanner set arrives.

Thanks for the info Jon.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,860 Posts
Ah so the change of route was for the accord only?
I think it was also a few early CR-Vs as well. But overwhelmingly pre-facelift 7th gen Accords!

Purely for interest - or maybe any Accord owners who may stumble across this thread - this TypeAccord forum thread has info and a diagram referring to the 'shorter belt' mod and detail of removing the redundant idler BUT CIVIC OWNERS MUST IGNORE THE LENGTHS STATED AS THE ACCORD HAS A BELT-DRIVEN PAS PUMP AND THEREFORE HAS A LONGER BELT!!! Auxiliary drive belt length

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fitted a Gates 7pk1645 with no problems
Was it straight forward enough to change?

I have a serpentine spanner set on order to help with slackening the belt, did you need to use something similar?

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Exactly what I used. Takes about 30 minutes and that includes jacking up and removing the wheel. It's pretty straightforward - just make sure you twist the tensioner the right way.

Only awkward bit is getting a 14mm socket onto the tensioner as its very tight with the tensioner pulley close to the inner wing. I had to grind down a socket to be short enough to fit.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly what I used. Takes about 30 minutes and that includes jacking up and removing the wheel. It's pretty straightforward - just make sure you twist the tensioner the right way.

Only awkward bit is getting a 14mm socket onto the tensioner as its very tight with the tensioner pulley close to the inner wing. I had to grind down a socket to be short enough to fit.
I'll stop by my brothers and 'borrow' a 14mm to butcher before I start the job then 😆

Thanks again mate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts