2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
What a great thread, I spent a career in Engineering but would have got nowhere without this guide, from start to finish filled with info, tips and "watch out" fors. The folks who made the guide and the others who chipped in with further info know your stuff.

I changed the fuel filter in my son's 07 civic ex (with a genuine Honda filter), it actually seemed to make the problem with hiccuping, spluttering and hesitation worse the revs going only up to 1300. until I dipped the clutch and momentarily revved up, whereupon it would drive ok again for a few hundred yards.

However, I tried the turning the ignition on/off 3 times left it overnight and today it has run OK. Co-incidence?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Further to my last post
The problem wasn't quite perfectly solved, the car ran fine 99% (illustrative only) but occasionally it was hesitating ever so slightly, nothing serious, nothing that suggested it was going to die or go into limp mode, just a little "reluctant"
I put a bottle of Wynn's Diesel cleaner in the tank, ran it for the rest of the day and it has been perfect since.
I offer this only as a thought starter for others with more know how to evaluate.

BTW, I forgot to mention, it certainly looked as though the fuel filter had never been changed or a least not for some time, I had poured the fuel from the old filter into a clear bowl, when it settled bottom of the bowl was covered in fine black particulate. In fairness to my son he has only just bought this car from a small trader so it's not his fault, but a lesson learned about the importance of filtration methinks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Changed my fuel filter yesterday - glad to get a genuine Honda part in there, though the aftermarket one (GUD Filters, local SA brand) fortunately gave no problems. Not much to add except the general complaint that it's a tricky job - though it occurred to me that it is a safe placement for the filter, considering that it's hard to avoid all spillage.

Used paramedicpete's tip and stuck little 1/4" bits into the fuel lines. I would add that covering the filter's tubes with rags or tissue before removing would prevent spills entirely, as diesel came out of the filter as soon as I tilted it. My idle does seem to have a low sort of pulsing now (air still working out of the system, or am I just listening harder?), but she's pulling strong as ever.

The sensor plugs are a pain - in my case, the release tab on the larger one had been broken off. You just have to press down what's left of the tab with a flathead screwdriver, and it will release.

Clearly the previous mechanic also had difficulties, as the housing's lower bolt wasn't there. Does anyone happen to know the thread pitch and bolt length offhand? - forgot to measure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just did that a couple of weeks ago as part of my service. It does take a little extra time (if you're as lucky as me) but was well worth it as, the old one looked quite dirty upon removal.
I followed the valuable advice spread throughout the thread and only loosened the bottom bolt holding the filter bracket as it gave me enough wiggle room to manoeuvre the filter out by simply tilting the bracket. Be ready with an old towel in place if you want to avoid large spills as advised.

Thanks to all the contributors and be patient if you decide to get it done. An ample set of tools also goes a long way ^_^
The car starts much smoother and quicker now when pressing the button.

·
Registered
80 Posts
if you've pretty much drained your tank empty, to the point of getting air in the fuel line, how much pumping of the priming bulb do you think would be required to get fuel through from the tank?

·
Registered
26 Posts
if you've pretty much drained your tank empty, to the point of getting air in the fuel line, how much pumping of the priming bulb do you think would be required to get fuel through from the tank?
Hard to say in theory, but I would imagine a lot. I didn't seem to get much air into the lines during my replacement, and mine still needed dozens of pumps. When the bulb starts hardening, the fuel is there. Best to have fuel in the tank when doing this job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

Many thanks to all for all the input on this thread. Took me about 2 hours to complete the job (including a breakfast break and running to a nearby mech for some assistance in removing the filter from the housing). No cuts on my hands as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great how to guide, the only thing I'd add is that the two plugs do unclip from the bracket which makes life easier and just take your time and maybe the use of a torch too lol.
Glad that I bit the bullet and tackled it my Fuel filter looked like it had never been changed from factory.
The throttle response afterwards was vastly improved and maybe a placebo effect but felt much quicker.
Thanks again for the how to ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
recently bought an aftermaket filter made by delphi, unfortunately there's no o-ring for the water sensor, anyone that can provide the o-ring measures in order to find any aftermarket one ???

161 - 171 of 171 Posts