2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

My motor has just passed its MOT ...yet it smokes like a bad'un when on load and keeps stalling.

I've got ELM327 kit and there are no fault codes. My garage have plugged their kit in and they can't get any fault codes so believe its something mechanical.

In other recent posts I've noted potential probs as follows :-
- Fuel Pump
- Fuel Injectors
- MAF unit
- Turbo
- Cracked exhaust manifold
- EGR ( I've have clean it carefully but not tried to force it open )
( I fitted a new IMRC frequency solenoid valve so thats now discounted )

My garage say "it can't be the EGR as its electric and would register a fault code".

What I'm trying to get to is...based on the car's 2 symptoms , how could I isolate items above to discount them off the list.

EG #1 My garage were quick to discount the EGR. But is their basis correct ?

EG #2 Fahad ( of TypeAccord fame ) reckoned it could be the MAF unit. But...surely the MAF would just register less air and less fuel would be supplied by the ECU. Hence I didn't believe heavy smoking was a symtom of a rogue MAF unit.

Jeez I wish I could borrow a spare car and do some part swapping ! :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
For smoking I'd say valve stem seals but that doesn't explain the stalling.

That's typically seen at start up and under acceleration (at least until it gets worse)

Could also be turbo seals.

For smoke there's nearly always oil leakage somewhere.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For smoking I'd say valve stem seals but that doesn't explain the stalling.

That's typically seen at start up and under acceleration (at least until it gets worse)

Could also be turbo seals.

For smoke there's nearly always oil leakage somewhere.

Nah mate this is a diesel, stem seals were a failing associated with petrol engines as they run hotter and the fuel has no lubrication properties.

The car doesn't smoke at start up and nothing noticeable at idle, but when I floor the pedal at mid speed I get an almighty grey/black soot cloud:worms: Its definatetly unburnt fuel rather than engine oil.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Ok. Not sure then.

I would always suspect turbo seals but if you're sure its unburn't fuel rather than oil, then the cause must lie elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Nah mate this is a diesel, stem seals were a failing associated with petrol engines as they run hotter and the fuel has no lubrication properties.

The car doesn't smoke at start up and nothing noticeable at idle, but when I floor the pedal at mid speed I get an almighty grey/black soot cloud:worms: Its definatetly unburnt fuel rather than engine oil.
When was your air filter last checked/changed?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Remove the inlet pipe from the turbo and grab the center of the impeller and try and move it up and down. If you get alot of play then your turbo is pumped.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Remove the inlet pipe from the turbo and grab the center of the impeller and try and move it up and down. If you get alot of play then your turbo is pumped.

Hhmm ...the local garage thinks maybe turbo but there is no funny noises and still a plenty of power ( i.e. no flat spots etc ). Unfortunately I ain't got garage space to get the car hoisted up to access behind the engine. Just a sloped driveway an old faithful ramps.

Another thought I had was maybe a clogged or perished intercooler. Is it a straightforward job to strip off the intercooler on an Accord or is like a French design...i.e. start by removing the rear subframe to access the front left headlight bulb :police:

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Turbo up and down play is normal - the type of bearing in there allows float, although if the play was along the shaft (i.e. left to right) then it would be considered a problem.

Turbo vanes stuck? What numbers do you get from teh ELM 327 on the run (boost pressure max, MAF max etc.) - that could give some clue?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turbo up and down play is normal - the type of bearing in there allows float, although if the play was along the shaft (i.e. left to right) then it would be considered a problem.

Turbo vanes stuck? What numbers do you get from teh ELM 327 on the run (boost pressure max, MAF max etc.) - that could give some clue?

Gave it a blast on the M62 this morning with my Android 'Torque' app.

Fuel rail : ~1600bar achieved

Intake ( though don't know which point..) : ~2.28bar

(Intake figure of '60' measured at another point but not sure on units..though other pressure units shown were kpa, this might actual be air temperature though.. )
MAF : 107 g/s

Boost : ~1.25bar ( boost guage goes to minus 0.1bar at idle..)

Engine temp ~83°C

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hhmm ...the local garage thinks maybe turbo but there is no funny noises and still a plenty of power ( i.e. no flat spots etc ). Unfortunately I ain't got garage space to get the car hoisted up to access behind the engine. Just a sloped driveway an old faithful ramps.

Another thought I had was maybe a clogged or perished intercooler. Is it a straightforward job to strip off the intercooler on an Accord or is like a French design...i.e. start by removing the rear subframe to access the front left headlight bulb :police:
IC removal on accord is simple just remove bumper, remove hoses and its off. The side location on the accord isnt that well protected and the air scoop is very large with no protection for debris entering soft fins of IC.

Seen a new IC's on ebay recently as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi , just wondered if you got to the bottom of this , as my mates 2009 2.2 td civic is doing the same thing
there are no fault codes , cleaned egr valve out , fuel pressure check's out ok etc
car has only done 19k
thanks

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Could be an air leak between turbo and inlet manifold. My starting point would be to check the intercooler for cracks/damage and hose connections.

Sent from iphone

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could be an air leak between turbo and inlet manifold. My starting point would be to check the intercooler for cracks/damage and hose connections.

Sent from iphone
i thought that , but the car pulls really well , and i cant hear a hissing type noise on boost , which i thought you would get when under full load

1 - 16 of 16 Posts