2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I was looking for some advice if anyone can help please.

I have a 2010 2.2 i-CDTI Civic Type S GT (only owned it a month) and I noticed that it is leaking oil. I looked under the engine and saw that the sump is covered in oil but I dont know where it is coming from. The car is back at Arnold Clark and they are transferring it to Honda to investigate.

When I looked under the car I noticed there was no trim / panel on the underside protecting the bottom of the engine. Should this car have some sort of cover there to protect the underside of the engine from road debry or is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
1,932 Posts
Yes, there should be a undertray, let us know what they find.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
+1, Item #7 should be under the car, you shouldn't be able to see the engine block.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, they have sent the car to Honda in Glasgow for repair as it is under manufacturers guarantee.

As for the lower engine cover, AC have advised that essentially they will not find / fit one for me as it was traded in to them without one.

Not happy...

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
As far as I am aware the purpose of the cover is to aid the cars aerodynamic performance and as such your MPG may suffer without it being fitted. Hopefully you can persuade AC via the sale of good act or something to get one fitted to your car. Good Luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice.

Funny you should say that, I'm struggling to avg more than 42mpg and I do a lot of motorway driving.

My engine makes a slight whine (similar to a failing gearbox noise) but it comes from the engine and follows the revs even when revved in neutral.

This normal? Wasn't too sure as I know Honda engines are quite tuned.

Perhaps this is a separate post but figured I'd check seeing as he car is now in the garage.

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
1,932 Posts
What's the mileage?

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
1,932 Posts
That's hardly anything, will be interesting what they will find.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
You will probably find the whine is the auxilliary drive belt-alternator, AC etc. I would say it is normal, at least both of my CTDI Civics have done this. Good luck with getting the oil leakage fixed, hopefully it is something simple like a damaged sump plug washer or similar.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info, my mates cdti makes the same noise.

I'm hoping it's just a simple fix... Will be gutted if it's something serious as it will put me off the car :-(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts