2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2006 2.2 iCDTI for nearly 5 years now and it has been absolutely fine. Recently though i keep having problems with the accelerator.

Sometimes when I change gear I can feel a drag as if the engine is not kicking properly and now on 4 separate occasions it has cut out completely. I have to pull over and the car is struggling to reach 800 RPM while I am still and when I put my foot down on the accelerator all the way it only gets to about 1500 RPM and any attempt at moving just stalls the car.

After I have been pulled over for a while it starts up again and works fine but I know it will just happen again and wondered if anyone else had had this problem.

Only passed it's MOT a couple of weeks ago as well but the problem started before the MOT.

Thanks in advance.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,920 Posts
If you ever get the engine warning light come on then get the ECU warning code read off.

Otherwise, I suggest your EGR valve is either blocked up and/or sticking... search the forum to find a guide on cleaning it.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Hi there I seem to be having the same problem on my 2.2, when it does the temp gauge is quite high so i pull over and top the water up to cool it an the problem goes away for a few months,
spook to some one today and they said it might be a coolant temp sensor or the thermostat?????
Not sure my self but she is going in for a MOT and service so ill ask them.
will also speak to Honda and see if they have come across it??

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
1,932 Posts
Sounds like your car is going into limp mode.
As Jon says the ECU will be throwing up a code. Check oil & fluid levels, had this happen to me once and it was a faulty lambda sensor.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,920 Posts
Hi there I seem to be having the same problem on my 2.2, when it does the temp gauge is quite high so i pull over and top the water up to cool it an the problem goes away for a few months,
spook to some one today and they said it might be a coolant temp sensor or the thermostat...
This isn't the same problem, as the original post didn't mention overheating and water loss. I agree that your problem is likely to be the thermostat (but a faulty sensor wouldn't lead to water loss). You can usually tell when the thermostat sticks shut, as the top rad hose will remain cool even when the engine is up to temperature.

Don't push your luck if it is overheating, as serious damage can result. If it does happen while you're out, put the heater on full and keep the revs down. Or, better still, stop!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts