2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Mitko
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see few threads around the forum but nothing really gets to the point.
Bought the car exactly one year ago and have done a little over 20k km on it.
First time when oil was changed was when I got the car, used 0w-30 Castrol full synthetic. Changed it at around 12k km, during that period had to put about 2.5l of oil as the low oil level warning was periodically showing.
It was a time for oil change and decided that since it's not a brand new engine it might be burning it due to very thin viscosity of the oil. So changed it with Castrol full synthetic 5w-40. 4000 km and no sing of oil consumption (I usually check it on a daily basis but had to do a lot of driving in just few days and did not bother checking it) and puff, Low engine oil warning back on. Stick was showing just a little over the minimum so topped it up with 1 liter until it went up to full.
2000 "quick" km and warning is back on, topped 0.5 l and kept on driving since today and another 2k km, yet again low oil is on the show.
So basic calculation is that my car "drinks" about half a liter per 2000 km.
Turbo was inspected from under the car and I couldn't see any leakage neither the turbo inlet had no oil inside. That still does not mean that has no problem with it.
My thoughts about why this is happening are either valve oil seals or piston seals. Opening up the engine is the last thing I want to do to the car but it's probably going to be inevitable.
This oil consumption is not that severe but it is bothering me and I want to fix it, hopefully it wont be something very pricey.
I will mostly appreciate it if you guys give me any advises or if anyone had these symptoms and fixed their car. :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Check the compression of each cylinder, this might identify worn rings which would allow oil to pass into the combustion chamber.
You could also do a 'leak down' test to check if there are valve problems.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Usage of oil is known... and normal.

I use 500ml of oil, every 3000 miles (5000km)... so nowhere near your usage, but it still uses some. I use 0w30, as per specification in the book.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,623 Posts

I use 500ml of oil, every 3000 miles (5000km)... so nowhere near your usage, but it still uses some. I use 0w30, as per specification in the book.
same ,mine as had 1 litre in 6000 miles , been like this for the last 4 years so I'm not worried..

·
Registered
414 Posts
Agreed. According to the owners manual, this level of oil consumption falls within the normal range.

The owners manual says "The rate of oil consumption can be up to 1 litre per 1,000 km/625 miles"

Mine uses a bit more 0W30 than it does 5W30 but there's not much in it.

·
Mitko
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check the compression of each cylinder, this might identify worn rings which would allow oil to pass into the combustion chamber.
You could also do a 'leak down' test to check if there are valve problems.
Most definitely this is going to be a first thing to check!

Yours sounds to be within limits, 10k km - 1l!
I usually change the oil at around 10-12k km (6500-7000 miles), this means that in this period I have to add almost 2.5l. Witch is almost half of the engine capacity.
But according to the user manual as deepdown130 stated I should not be worrying about it that much. Although I still don't feel like this is right!
1l per 1000km for me would be if you're reving the car constantly. I am not an aggressive driver but I do have my moments from time to time. :D

P.s. Forgot to mention! Every cold start (sometimes not only cold) I get grayish smoke out of the exhaust.

·
Registered
88 Posts
P.s. Forgot to mention! Every cold start (sometimes not only cold) I get grayish smoke out of the exhaust.
I had a 1st Gen. CRV that did this every morning, or after 5-6 hours of non-use. The mechanic said (if I remember correctly) worn valve seats, which basically means the seals around the valves aren't sealing anymore and oil from the head is slowly seeping in the piston chamber. After a long period of time, that oil can build up in the chamber and result in a puff of smoke when you try and start it.

The leak down test I mentioned before would be able to identify this, If it is the problem.

Good luck!

·
Mitko
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to Jammy-J and YouTube now I am familiar with what the leak down test does.
Definitely these to test are going to be first in the list to do when I get my car in the shop.
Thank you for your help.

Will keep you posted. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
How did you check the turbo from under the car when its at the back of the engine above the exhaust manifold... look at the air intake after the turbo, the intercooler will be full of oil. Sounds like turbo seals are gone
also how is the blowby? Would indicate worn piston rings if excessive

·
Mitko
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you have the car jacked up high it's quite easy to take a peak at the turbo. It is not fully visible but I was able to see the central part where there was no oil leaking. This still does not exclude the turbo as the problem maker.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Mitko
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yesterday I managed to get the car to the local Honda dealer to give it a good check.
You guys suggested the valve seal are gone but according to Honda's mechanics it's the turbocharger. And TBH I am exhausted of changing and repairing turbos.
Turbo is leaking a bit. The noise from it is too much (I was explaining that with the missing DPF, but obviously the filter is there :D). And finally there is radial movement (I have no idea how they caught that knowing where the turbo is located).
Before my Civic I had a Mitsubishi Pajero Sport. After original turbo failure bought a brand new (non OEM) from China, that managed to work for about 8k km. The third was a refurbed one from Poland (not 100% if it was Poland).
Had the same problem with it. Car started loosing power at the same kilometers of usage.
Honda dealer told me that they have to check how much a new turbo costs and I even told the not to worry about it as I am sure it'll not be less than 2-2.500 euro and I won't be buying it.
My options now are to get a second hand one. I know what the risks of second hand parts are so am no really keen on this option.
Refurbishing my turbo is my other and maybe only option. But the risk of screwing it up is there and I am truly afraid that I'll have to spend too much money on something that at the end will not work fine.
There is just one place in Bulgaria where they have all the needed stands and tools to do the turbo right but reading comments about their work and I am getting more and more skeptic...

I have to go away for about two months on a business trip and meanwhile will be looking for solution. So I'll be reading all that you have to say, don't waste your words :D

·
Administrator
17,934 Posts

·
Mitko
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Farqui - Sending out the turbo to UK and getting it back will probably double the cost for the refurb.
I spoke with Adler Turbo today witch are as said the only company with proper stands to repair a turbo in Bulgaria. They said that the price range for a repair is between 150 and 450 euro depending on the damage. I am guessing that mine only need a seal change as it pulls perfectly and looses oil from that seal.
The problem is that they'll need 3-4 days to remove the turbo, repair and put back in position. And this is something I do not like. I want to be there the whole time and watch over them to see exactly what they're doing to my car. (Some of their costumers were complaining that they've been charged for damage that was not existing, according to them of course. The truth is somewhere there...).
I do not have that much spare time and what I might do is remove the turbo by a competent mechanic, take a good look at it and sent it to them. I this case fraud most likely to be eliminated :D

·
Administrator
17,934 Posts
Pfft, why'd you live over there!

There must be local companies that offer good repairs but then I see that you don't want any hassle. Hmmm, good luck with your quest and I hope you get it sorted.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Its not going to be a job you can stand over them and watch them do. Removing and reinstalling the turbo is a job in itself that would take a good while.

The 2 companies farqui listed are reputable. I doubt you'll have any issues with the workmanship and there have been a few that have used turbo clinic to upgrade the Honda OEM turbo to a more powerful hybrid turbo. Its at least worth contacting them to see how they'd handle shipping and find out how much it would be first. Worth the shipping costs if you know they are going to do it properly.

A new turbo from Honda costs £1800 for the part, so its not cheap. And as you know, buying cheap Chinese/polish parts is not a cost-effective fix.

If you want it sorting properly, be willing to pay the extra to send it somewhere that will, not somewhere that is the only place in town (or in your case; the country).

But if you're posting the turbo here to the UK, you will need to find a garage to remove it, hold your car while the turbo is repaired, then refit it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts