2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I done a service on the civic 2.2 in late feb the other day my oil light came on checked it and its on minimum theres no smoke what i can see only first thing small puff of blue the engine looks dry im gona take the under tray off tomorrow and have a look is there any reason its to consume that much i havent drivien it mega miles ive bin on lockdown for over a month

·
Registered
243 Posts
When the oil light comes on it usually means there's no oil in the engine. Usually the light comes on way after the damage is done. I recommend checking the oil every time you fill your diesel up.

Also, not normal to see any blue / white smoke on cold. Either a glow plug issue or a turbo seal issue. The fact you've lost oil is probably an indicator of turbo seal failure. Time to see a mechanic and prepare your wallet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I can do the mechanical stuff myself so aint worried about that but inbetween posting this i have taken the intercooler pipe off and there is oil in there I do check my oil prob every 2 weeks prob should do it weekly

·
Registered
243 Posts
I can do the mechanical stuff myself so aint worried about that but inbetween posting this i have taken the intercooler pipe off and there is oil in there I do check my oil prob every 2 weeks prob should do it weekly
Two weeks is more than enough if you're doing average mileage (around 500 a fortnight.) The fact you've lost >3-4 litres of oil points to a major issue.

If it's your turbo, you run the risk of having a runaway diesel, how severe is the oil in the intercooler lines? Some residue is normal, if it's dripping out you have an issue.

Do you drive the car often at night? Mine with bad turbo seals would smoke excessively when flooring off the lights first into second gear. The vehicle behinds headlights made it very easy to spot.

What mileage are you on? My turbo went at 105K miles. Mine is most probably from being remapped and the previous owner rallying it when cold and not letting the turbo spool down after enthusiastic driving.
I drove mine around for 10K miles with a noisy turbo and split manifold. Used to let out a plume of blue smoke first start after sitting overnight. I didn't have much of an oil consumption issue though. I was just very careful to check oil daily, I was doing 120 miles a day at a point.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,853 Posts
Hard to tell from the exhaust smoke when a diesel is burning engine oil. And you need to properly make an accurate assessment of how much is being used before panicking. Catastrophic diesel runaway is a real thing (usually caused by the turbo seals failing) although I've never heard of it happening to a single Honda diesel on any of the forums where I've been a member.

As said, there are two 'oil' warnings... low level and low pressure. I remember a while back forum members reporting the low level light giving incorrect warnings and a software fix being necessary.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Max to Min is only 1lt though is it not?
Mine has been on minimum before and never threw up an oil light. Even during oil changes when putting 5 litres in, the oil wasn't even on the stick after starting it up. Still no oil light was present.

Hard to tell from the exhaust smoke when a diesel is burning engine oil. And you need to properly make an accurate assessment of how much is being used before panicking. Catastrophic diesel runaway is a real thing (usually caused by the turbo seals failing) although I've never heard of it happening to a single Honda diesel on any of the forums where I've been a member.
I've had two diesels in my ownership have blown turbos. Common issue on a diesel with high mileage, both gave off puffs of blue smoke upon cold start, and whistled when cold. I've also had a diesel with an injector that would drip overnight, upon starting it after sitting overnight the smoke was white with a strong raw diesel smell. The engine felt like it was misfiring and ran rough upon cold start as well. The car got written off and I sold it as a Category N write off.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,853 Posts
...I've had two diesels in my ownership have blown turbos. Common issue on a diesel with high mileage, both gave off puffs of blue smoke upon cold start, and whistled when cold. I've also had a diesel with an injector that would drip overnight, upon starting it after sitting overnight the smoke was white with a strong raw diesel smell. The engine felt like it was misfiring and ran rough upon cold start as well. The car got written off and I sold it as a Category N write off.
Blown turbos causing runaway? I've never heard of it happening on these Hondas! The Garrett VNT used on the 2.2 i-CTDi was a massively over-engineered (and very expensive) unit that was far more reliable than those used ny other manufacturers, you were obviously 'double unlucky' but mine was still going strong at nearly 200k miles when the engine lost oil pressure and led to me selling the car for spares. Admittedly she did smoke quite quite noticeably on start-up and under load, but hardly used any engine oil.

Whistling when cold is absolutely normal, at least on the 2.2 i-CTDi... there's quite a few threads about it on the forum where new owners have expressed concern. I actually thought it was quite a pleasant sound! Apparently it becomes more like an old-style police siren when the bearing wear allows the rotor to contact the housing, but I've never heard this.

I hope to continue my good luck with turbos, my current car has two.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Blown turbos causing runaway? I've never heard of it happening on these Hondas! The Garrett VNT used on the 2.2 i-CTDi was a massively over-engineered (and very expensive) unit that was far more reliable than those used ny other manufacturers, you were obviously 'double unlucky' but mine was still going strong at nearly 200k miles when the engine lost oil pressure and led to me selling the car for spares. Admittedly she did smoke quite quite noticeably on start-up and under load, but hardly used any engine oil.
Certain cars actually have a butterfly actuator that closes in the event of a runaway, I know most BMW's past a certain age do. IIRC my friends 2006 335D had one.

Also the Garrett VNT turbo is common, most German vehicles use them. In particularly BMW, funnily enough the first turbo I had die was on a '06 120D with 155K miles. Will never own a German car after the unpleasant ownership of that one. Despite it being FSH and owned by women it was very unreliable. I think I got it with like 140K, in my ownership it had a new issue every month, with each repair £1,000 doing it myself.

I personally think my unlucky spells with diesels is due to the previous owners not maintaining them correctly. Starting them up and going straight into boost with no warm up, and not letting them spool down after being on the motorway etc.

And as for my Honda, it was rallied. If I knew it was remapped prior to purchasing it, I'd have walked away.

Sadly turbos are a component that do and will fail with high mileage and improper operation.

I've owned three or four diesels now and they've all ended up with issues, but what I save on fuel is worth it. I do >2,000 miles a month. And I'm too frugal to buy a new Hybrid vehicle. Although even some petrol's I've owned have been terrible on reliability. Word of advice don't buy a Ford after 2002, all scrap. And the old ones are rotten now. Heck, even 2011 models are blistering on the arches and dealers are asking £4,000 for them on eBay.

As for OP, losing a litre or more over a couple of weeks is a detrimental issue that needs addressing.
The CDTI engine uses some oil, but not to that magnitude.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts