2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
over the past few weeks my sons car has had starting issues. Firstly it wouldn't start when warm, CEL and VSA lights were on. When it stood for around half an hour it would start and the CEL and VSA would remain on. After checking with a generic OBD I replaced the coolant sensor. All seemed well for a day or two then the problems recurred.
I replaced the fuel filter and air filter and again all seemed well until a few days later when it began to play up again.
As things stand now the CEL and VSA will come on but as soon as it starts, the lights go off. The curious thing now is that the temperature no longer seems to affect the starting issue. It won't start when cold either if it decides it doesn't want to! My son now tells me that he knows it will start if the green key light flashes (could have mentioned that one sooner!).
As this is not my car I'm unsure how long that has been an issue, I'm assuming that the green key light is the ecu recognizing the key? Mostly when the key is inserted there is no green light and no start. We've tried both keys and it makes no difference.
I've told him to take it to the dealers for a proper diagnostic but we need to get it started first, it's a bit of 'throw a double six to start'
When it does start it drives like it's supposed to (apparently).
Is there something that I am missing that rings bells with anyone? I am not familiar with this car at all, much more used to messing around under the bonnet of a 1993 SAAB 900!
Any help would be wonderful, thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that the OBD threw up P0602 - Control Module Programming Error but I'm not sure what that relates to.
I also noted that the manual fuel pressure black bulb thing was quite soft but I don't know if that is normal?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. As I said I'm not familiar with this car but I imagine the ECU would be a permanent fault and not allow starting at any time? It does start form time to time (when the green key comes up) and that's the confusing part - it seems that in general the key is not recognized but now and again it does. Is there anything that would prohibit the ECU even trying to communicate with the key in the first place?
Originally I was thinking the main relay, having read about the solder breaking down but I'm not sure where this is despite lots of googling (mostly results on american trucks and many other things unrelated, it's true that you can be massively well informed and completely wrong at the same time!).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update ... the fuel pressure seems fine and the car has been starting/not starting depending on the green key light flashing once or not. I'm guessing the key is not being recognized when the green light doesn't flash. It's being booked in for next week for a proper scan, see what that throws up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2.2 Diesel not starting Code P0602

2006 Civic 2.2 diesel
A customers car arrived with intermittent starting issues
When the ignition was turned on the VSA light, Airbag light and Power steering light were all illuminated.
Under these conditions the car would not start
Diagnostic scan showed error P0602

Occasionally the warning lights would not illuminate and the car would start ok
When the car was running, there were no errors or DTC's stored in the ECU

We had Honda install a software update and this cured the problem, car starts first time, every time.

BTW The local dealership were not aware that the update was available. I had to get them to check

1 - 8 of 8 Posts