2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the recent interest in Mugens latest release for the M20s it's worth reminding people ....... If their pockets are deep enough and they want something a little bit different then bigger capacity is a very good option.

We have been building stroked and oversized motors for years and there are quite a few different options.

As a breif summary most popular for people with older motors with a little bit of wear is just a simple refresh with a slight bore and hone and head rebuild 0.5mm oversized with new pistons and rods.

On a stock block we have gone to a maximum of 2.35l with a special crank, pistons and rods. Good idea to go slightly oversized valves and camshafts. At this capacity we would be sleeving the block as well.

Typically the 2.2motors with high spec intakes we have seen anything from 280-300bhp with specific camshafts for race applications making the power at high rpm and ITBs. The 2.35s we are running making that sort of power with RBC/RRC an big throttle bodies.

Worth mentioning the brief specs of our race cars that have been competing this year:

Seans Time Attack car is 86.5mm Cosworth piston and rods, darton sleeved block running 12.5 compression and pretty much stock head and making over 500bhp supercharged.

Adams Turbo drag car is an ERL sleeved block with a BC 2.2 stroker kit and camshafts. God knows what power it's making but we are snapping clean 1000bhp driveshaft shop axels!

Dougies Rotrex drag car is a stock un-sleeved block running the same BC2.2 stroker kit and camshafts and making way over 500bhp without the nitrous.

The M20 we have in has just had our own spec 2.2 motor installed but it been focused towards a slightly different purpose. More details shortly in a full build thread but we are hoping it will be all finished this week are pitting run in miles on it ready for final tuning.

To get an idea of what a 2.2 stroker pulls like here is a short clip of a car we did years ago running the Toda 2.2 engine kit and ITBs:

This is what it's like doing 9 seconds from 0-150 in a turbod 2.2 ;)

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd say 90% are for race applications so things like the intake setups compromise drivability.

A stroked well setup NA build though on a daily driver could drive like stock though but with potentially the power of a supercharger.
Check out the Skunk2 stage3 build we did for G at Fastcar ;)

·
The Guru
4,207 Posts
I'd say 90% are for race applications so things like the intake setups compromise drivability.

A stroked well setup NA build though on a daily driver could drive like stock though but with potentially the power of a supercharger.
Check out the Skunk2 stage3 build we did for G at Fastcar ;)
I did follow that with interest.

As a ball park figure you could say around the 9k mark as a build cost?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah for the stage3 2.4 around that.
Ballpark forged motor with just pistons and rods using your motor as the base would be around £2k + labour

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Have you had or heard any issues with the Briam Crower kit?

Seems a good choice for stock sleeves. 92mm stroke, BC rods, 86.5mm pistons with 12.5CR. A stage 2 cam, TODA oil pump and you are good to go....

..... Soooooo temping...!

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Ballpark forged motor with just pistons and rods using your motor as the base would be around £2k + labour
bhp wise what we get for that? interested to see whats next after i get my breathing sorted out, i DONT want to go down charger route though.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
What are you looking at for labour on that 2k Paul?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DP- BC stroker is good but pretty old technology. Bit like Toda in a way.
There is more learning out there now so bits of one bits of another if you get my drift.

Doogle- about £1k for labour

Higham- depends what you want. Forged internals won't make more power than stock if swapped like for like and high comp will actually loose you power unless you change the fuel type.

BRM- Yes. Don't use their retainers unless it's a race motor with regular rebuilds/checks and check machining on camshaft dowel pins a sometimes too deep and pin slides all way in and cap slips loosing timing.

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Thanks for the input.

I wouldnt use BC cams or their valve train.. Would be another manufacter with Supertech valve train.

So, for daily drive, stock sleeves, what would be the "perfect" 2.2 stroker kit in your opinion?

Cosworth have some 92mm cranks for the K20.... Company with a very good rep, might be worth having a closer look!?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Errr yeah. :lol:
We might use a lot of Cosworth parts as well ;)

Keep stock retainers. Ti are great on a race motor but that's what's also killed Dougies where life at 10k eventually pulls the collet through the retainer wrecking the engine!

Supertech valves are really good.

Lightweight machined S2000 crank with Cosworth rods and pistons and get a block guard machined in for good measure and away you go.
I'd probably sleeve it if going bigger pistons or boosted but it depends on your application.
On a drag car you need really high rpm to carry the powerband for longer..... Less gear changes as well so a smaller capacity enables you to safely rev higher.
Circuit work bigger cc gives a more flexible motor out the corners. High rpm doesn't matter so much in this case it's the area under the curve.

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Sleeving the block is not realy an option at this point.

Was thinking about supertech steel retainers.

Why do you say modified s2000 crank? What would be the pluses compared with a 92mm cosworth crank?

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
ok , fair enough.

How about the crank quality ... cosworth vs brian crower??:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Higham- depends what you want. Forged internals won't make more power than stock if swapped like for like and high comp will actually loose you power unless you change the fuel type.
more N/A power. but i got a few things i want to do before then like lsd and stuff, maybe when i finished my the next set of mods i could have a go your car and see if its the toda cams am after or if its more? ha :popcorn:

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I have never had the 2 side by side in a lab situation to carry out in depth tests to give a detailed evaluation. :lol:

Can't fault the BC cranks to be honest.
Cosworth is a new kid on the block as far as K20 is concerned but you can't fault the pedigree. Also be easier to get hold of being a European supplier.

Cosworth really are a top top iconic manufacturer :)

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
I have never had the 2 side by side in a lab situation to carry out in depth tests to give a detailed evaluation. :lol:

Can't fault the BC cranks to be honest.
Cosworth is a new kid on the block as far as K20 is concerned but you can't fault the pedigree. Also be easier to get hold of being a European supplier.

Cosworth really are a top top iconic manufacturer :)
I'm just scared of the price diference... :worms:

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts

There are some 96mm Cranks for our K20... :eek:....

On stock bore (86mm) would leave it at 2230cc.

On a Sleeved 89mm bore would make 2389cc.!!!!!! More that a Stock K24 block.

Any thought on these?? :popcorn2:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts