2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Before I go ahead and pay to have this diagnosed, I was wondering whether it sounds similar to any known issues with the 2.2 CDTI?

I had the manifold gasket replaced under warranty on my 07 2.2CDTI a few weeks ago and ever since I've noticed a rasp/whine/blowing coming from the engine, audible from inside the cabin. More noticeable the higher the revs.

Does anyone have any theories?

Many thanks

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
The exhaust or inlet manifold gasket? The gasket was leaking?

Do you mean the exhaust manifold was cracked and repaired under warranty?

Have you approached the garage who performed the warranty work about this noise?

Are you using a stock Honda air filter?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The exhaust or inlet manifold gasket? The gasket was leaking?

Do you mean the exhaust manifold was cracked and repaired under warranty?

Are you using a stock Honda air filter?
I believe it was the exhaust manifold that was cracked yes, £750 worth of work according to the dealership (under warranty though)

I did replace the air filter in January, I don't believe it was OEM however? Cost me around £15

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
Okay, that makes sense as zoorst manifold repair is fairly common on the old 2.2's.

Try re-seating the air filter and see if that helps. None OEM are known to make odd noises. An OEM filter isn't much, is easy to fit and known to flow well, so I'd suggest getting one fitted.

Did the warranty repair folks not mention the noise then?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your suggestions guys, I'll grab a Honda filter from COX in next few weeks and report back

Many thanks!

Also, dealership were pretty useless with any questions I put towards them so I haven't even bothered asking them so far

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
If the timing chain is a problem (and I've only heard of this on a car without regular oil changes), then it should be nosiest at idle... not under load.

I'd expect, under load, the chain should tension more

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Hi all,

Before I go ahead and pay to have this diagnosed, I was wondering whether it sounds similar to any known issues with the 2.2 CDTI?

I had the manifold gasket replaced under warranty on my 07 2.2CDTI a few weeks ago and ever since I've noticed a rasp/whine/blowing coming from the engine, audible from inside the cabin. More noticeable the higher the revs.

Does anyone have any theories?

Many thanks
Hey, mind if I ask what the mileage was on your car when it was changed under warranty?

They refused to change mine, wanted me to pay labour.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the timing chain is a problem (and I've only heard of this on a car without regular oil changes), then it should be nosiest at idle... not under load.

I'd expect, under load, the chain should tension more
Ah ok, it's normal at idle so that sounds good.

Hey, mind if I ask what the mileage was on your car when it was changed under warranty?

They refused to change mine, wanted me to pay labour.
Mine was on 118k, the dealership refused, however HondaUK customer services agreed (with a bit of arm twisting over me being worried about fumes in the car).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So quid update

Installed the new Honda air filter, felt like more power lower down in the range (maybe placebo effect? Felt real though) . However, the noise is still present. I’m starting to think it’s maybe not a rasp and more of a very very slight rattle?

Looks like I’m going have to take it down to the dealership :(

Thanks all for suggestions though

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
Heat shield?

Is quite common for a simple mount to rust thru. Often easily fixed by a big washer.

Modern cars have lots of thin heat shields, some seem completely pointless.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts