2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
17,961 Posts
Guys, I have serious hesitation with my Civic, am i right in saying that an EGR clean and genuine fuel filter replacment are two very good places to start?

Is there anything else I should consider too? Car has 110K on it and has a non-dealer service history. I also know that the car was never driven hard (it belonged to a family member from new)

Thanks
When do you get the hesitation, on part throttle or full bore?

Have OEM filters been fitted?

When was the fuel filter last replaced?

An EGR clean should help part throttle response and will give you an opportunity to check how coked up the inlet is.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,698 Posts
Guys, I have serious hesitation with my Civic, am i right in saying that an EGR clean and genuine fuel filter replacment are two very good places to start?

Is there anything else I should consider too? Car has 110K on it and has a non-dealer service history. I also know that the car was never driven hard (it belonged to a family member from new)

Thanks
EGR clean and genuine fuel filter replacment would be my first on the to do list ,both can cause the symptoms you're getting .. good luck..

·
Registered
10 Posts
When do you get the hesitation, on part throttle or full bore?

Have OEM filters been fitted?

When was the fuel filter last replaced?

An EGR clean should help part throttle response and will give you an opportunity to check how coked up the inlet is.
I have replaced the fuel filter with a genuine one and cleaned the egr, I have a "misfire" feeling on very light throttle and have the flat spot hesitation at low rev in 1st and 2nd. I started another thread about this but I tried testing my EGR while i had it out for cleaning....pushed the diaphragm down (which was really hard) and put my finger over the vac pipe to see if it was holding..and it wasnt.

SO do i have a dead EGR? Is that what my actual problem is?

·
Registered
498 Posts

Thanks

Yes probably egr clean should do it, helps to boost the shi... out of it , cleans the sot out..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,791 Posts
I have replaced the fuel filter with a genuine one and cleaned the egr, I have a "misfire" feeling on very light throttle and have the flat spot hesitation at low rev in 1st and 2nd. I started another thread about this but I tried testing my EGR while i had it out for cleaning....pushed the diaphragm down (which was really hard) and put my finger over the vac pipe to see if it was holding..and it wasnt.

SO do i have a dead EGR? Is that what my actual problem is?
As I said in the other thread, the way you describe it sounds like your EGR valve is faulty (although the way you tested it seems a bit odd).

·
Registered
10 Posts
As I said in the other thread, the way you describe it sounds like your EGR valve is faulty (although the way you tested it seems a bit odd).
What way would you have tested it? In the past I have tested vacuum operated EGR's this way...just to be clear the test I did shows if it can actually hold a vacuum. Cant see any other way of testing it apart from having it mapped out??

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,791 Posts
What way would you have tested it? In the past I have tested vacuum operated EGR's this way...just to be clear the test I did shows if it can actually hold a vacuum. Cant see any other way of testing it apart from having it mapped out??
Having it mapped out wouldn't really be a test, but blanking it off would be! If the valve is faulty and unable to properly shut (which seems likely, from what you say) then how is any amount of remapping going to make it close? At least if you blank it off with something like a cut up coke can then you'll be able to assess whether the hesitation disappears and the performance recovers, although blanking off the EGR will result in a DTC and therefore the car running in limp mode (the ECU will spot that MAF doesn't fall off when the EGR valve is told to open).

I'd prefer to test the EGR valve by actually applying vacuum and monitoring the valve function while it's removed. However, seeing as how you seem experienced in testing valves the way you described, then I respect your judgement that the valve is faulty. In which case, get that new one you found on eBay for only £50!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did anybody resolve this issue???? I've had the same thing for a few years now lol.... Decided i've had enough ansd want it sorted!

So at random times while idle in neutral the revs drop and the car judders as if it is about to cut out, lasts a couple seconds and car is back to normal.
I always change the fuel/air/oil filter at every service (yearly) and i've cleaned the EGR a couple times (usually at every service), but last year was told the egr was faulty after my car kept going limp so had it replaced by a second hand one - haven't cleaned it since then. The engine idle/judder has never gone away and it happens pretty much every time i drive it.

Oh and i've noticed the car drinks the diesel more than it used to when i first got it (about 8 years ago)... Get anywhere between about 350-450 miles out full tank whereas i used to get 490-525 easy.

Any ideas guys?

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I had similar problems for a bit after getting the car remapped. Serious black smoke and stuttering when using light throttle etc. Had the map changed a few times and problem still persisted. Had the egr off and cleaned and had a few bottles of cleaner through it etc and still no success.

The only thing that fixed it for absolute sure was having the egr valve coded out completely. Had no problems whatsoever with stuttering, mis-fire type feeling, smoking etc and car is running like a dream.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am also having a similar issue, hesitation at 1500 rpm in any gear on light throttle.
My Civic is 2011 with 60k on the clock, I contacted Honda and they said there are no known issues with the egr valves!
However they did quote me £740 for a new valve (supply only).
Tried cleaning the valve which was totally gunked up with oil, no change!
Took a chance and purchased one from a 2007 model from EBay, fitted it and the problem has disappeared so much better for £28 instead of £740.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,049 Posts
Did anybody resolve this issue???? I've had the same thing for a few years now lol.... Decided i've had enough ansd want it sorted!

So at random times while idle in neutral the revs drop and the car judders as if it is about to cut out, lasts a couple seconds and car is back to normal.
I always change the fuel/air/oil filter at every service (yearly) and i've cleaned the EGR a couple times (usually at every service), but last year was told the egr was faulty after my car kept going limp so had it replaced by a second hand one - haven't cleaned it since then. The engine idle/judder has never gone away and it happens pretty much every time i drive it.

Oh and i've noticed the car drinks the diesel more than it used to when i first got it (about 8 years ago)... Get anywhere between about 350-450 miles out full tank whereas i used to get 490-525 easy.

Any ideas guys?
Check your clutch pedal switch too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am also having a similar issue, hesitation at 1500 rpm in any gear on light throttle.
My Civic is 2011 with 60k on the clock, I contacted Honda and they said there are no known issues with the egr valves!
However they did quote me £740 for a new valve (supply only).
Tried cleaning the valve which was totally gunked up with oil, no change!
Took a chance and purchased one from a 2007 model from EBay, fitted it and the problem has disappeared so much better for £28 instead of £740.
And it’s back! Same issue as before 1500 RPM light throttle, hesitation, it came back in the summer but just now and again, I’m sure this is temperature related as it’s a lot worse in cold weather especially when the car is not fully warmed up?
I can live with it for now but would like it sorted but reluctant to take it to Honda, can’t really afford it with their open wallet policy!!!
Maybe take another look when I gets a bit warmer or I get a heated garage or even a garage I can get a car in!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts