2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm having intermittent engine cutting out issue with a 2006 civic. The garage want to do a leak off test but say they are waiting since Monday for the appropriate values from honda :s. My question is there any point in doing this test I have heard it done on old diesels but can't seem to find any info relating to it on the net for the 2.2icdti engine. The dealer is currently refusing to refund me or find me a new civic until a problem is found, but seems adamant do go about it this way Instead of checking for logged fault codes.

Any help on this guys would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Lee

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,897 Posts
Excessive leak-back (and/or a leaking rail valve) wouldn't normally result in 'cutting out'. But a fuel filter problem often does!

Reading the fault codes is really a good idea. Is the ECU warning light on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been told that the car now hasn't got any warning lights on the dash, however when the car cut out the engine management, glowplug, asc and oil light were on. Do the ecu' log faults without any dash lights.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,897 Posts
It would be best to delete all stored codes and see which ones return.

If the warning light is on, then active codes are being registered and stored. Knowing those codes would be of the greatest help in diagnosing the problem.

Have you very recently bought this car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes sorry only owned the car for 2 minutes before it did this, since then it been back at the dealership, which is a ford garage. I called honda as I knew the car was local to see if they had any history. Found out the car had been mis-fueled in January this year, had its filters changed. Then went back to them in February for the intermittent cutting out issue I believe they changed some sort of fuel rail sensor and wiped the fault codes. I can only assume the previous owner then part ex'ed the car at the ford garage. From that info I'm trying to either get my money back or get them to find me a replacement civic, but they won't do anything until it's diagnosed. It's been in the garage for 8 days so far lol

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,897 Posts
Threaten them with Trading Standards... they really can't treat you like this.

Used car dealers are scumbags.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
reject the car saying you have lost all confidence in the vehicle
if they have had the car for 8 days it's long enough to say they can't fix it and you are not confident it will be fixed to a satisfactory degree

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick update guys turns out the garage have been lying to me somewhat the car is currently showing the engine management light and has been plugged into a snap on Sonos obd2 scanner revealing a number of fault codes that the mechanic thinks is pointing to the fuel pump being on its way out. They have now decided to send the car to a honda dealer for full diagnostics. I've been told that the car will be repaired if not too expensive, or they will find me another civic or give me my money back. I've heard figures of of around £2000 for a new pump ?

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
I'm glad they are finally taking responsibility for the vehicle they sold you. £2k for a full pump seems excessive. The fueling system has many components that could be the cause. Hopefully a Honda dealer will find an accurate and cost effective solution for you. Fingers crossed.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,897 Posts
Even the fuel rail is £1,150+VAT!
Thing is, not much can go wrong with the actual 'fuel rail', seeing as how it's basically a tube with some screw connectors... but Honda don't see the over-pressure relief valve or pressure sensor as independent items, so you have to buy the complete fuel rail from them. But these parts are available from Bosch for a very reasonable cost! Same with the fuel pump, Honda don't sell the part that usually fails (the pressure control solenoid) so, again you have to get one from Bosch (which is what I did, when I needed one).

It's like Honda don't want us fixing old cars with new parts!

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
Yeah, they'd much rather we buy a new car.

Thankfully Honda's don't often break, phew.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts