2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new 9th Gen Civic owner here...

I found out my newly purchased 65 plate Civic SR 1.8 cvt has a two step accelerator pedal completely by chance.

I wasn’t told this by the salesperson or in further reading of manual or online searches.

When pedal seems like it’s fully pressed, there is an extra bit of travel (almost like a switch) then the car revs go high and it gets very sporty. ?

Is this just a known thing on Hondas? I’ve never owned a car before that has one. Is it just a cvt automatic thing?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
You've probably got the car in eco mode?

On the petrol models, this changes throttle response, meaning you get less go for the same press- when you go to WOT (Wide open throttle), the throttle response damping is overridden to give you maximum performance; In fact, some German marques even disable certain ancillaries at WOT to increase engine power output to the wheels.

Try pressing the Eco Button on the right (You'll see "ECO OFF" on the I-Mid, and a green leaf light in the fuel gauge will switch off.) - This will give you a far more linear throttle response.

Edit:
Given the fact you have a CVT, and RPM's are jumping up, you're also tripping a kickdown. With regard to RPM on these engines, think in three steps -
0 - 3500RPM the engine runs with a single intake valve per cylinder.
3500 - ~5600RPM you've got both intake valves, giving you good performance.
~5600RPM - The end ( :D ) you're running in performance VTEC, which alters valve lift and timing

·
Registered
871 Posts
It’s just the AT kick down detent. Without going past it there is no gear ratio change, go past and the gear ratio will significantly change giving additional acceleration by a down change as you would in a manual.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
If it's a UK car 1.8 auto it'll be a 5 speed torque converter auto gearbox. The continuous variable transmission (cvt) came along with the 10g Civic.

As already explained, the 5 speed transmission drops down one or more gears when the throttle pedal's 'floored' (kickdown)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts