2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

20 Months in

4K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Mr Punch 
#1 ·
I had lost the will to live with cars until I took on ownership of an 8th Gen. I have a 2007 1.4 DSI with a staggering 125k on it and it has renewed my faith in modern vehicles. After my Freelander finally gave up the ghost I went on the trail for a more reliable form of transport. I did look at an X type but the Boss indoors hinted at a Honda.
The good stuff

It says it all when you look at the motor, it looks great. Someone at Honda had been on the Redbull when he/she set about the drawing board. The magic seats are nothing short of genius and the boot with the lower compartment is fantastic. The dashboard is set out just right and looks like something out of 2000AD. I am converted............. the one thing I love though is the fact that you can customise, tweek and the car doesn't look awful, chavy if you like. When I purchased my Honda it didn't have the exhaust triangles, alloy wheels and it had the standard silver plastic grill. All have been added or changed togive me a motor that's pleasing to the eye.

Quality

With the pleasure comes the pain or in my case, a niggly little itch. Thre trim quality could be better, the seats soon show the muck, easy chip paint. A bit of a shame really when you see how much went into the design and look of the car.

Performance

Ok, it's 1.4.........not big and not clever. Most modern engines of the same size do give a more glittering performance. The 1.4 I have in my motor is Gutless to say the least. Even with the 6 speed box which could be geared better still gives out a slightly disappointing output. It is to be fair a rock solid little Engine that I'm sure will give me years od reliability but loses momentum when faced with a decent incline.

Would I??

Hell yea....... I'd buy another one at a heartbeat. I'd go for the 1.8 next time. What a stunning car. The 9th Gen has a very hard act to follow and judging by the write ups so far, it has been found wanting, give it time though. The handling on the 8's is fun and sticks to the road like glue. It's very much a family car but it takes it in it's stride, sufficient space inside and a respectable boot to cart all the crap associated with family days out. I'm about to add a towbar to pull our camping trailer.........Yet another mod to my list eh?

MP

See less See more
#5 ·
Great write up mate!What you said described everything :thumbsup:
"It's just nice to have a motor that you look forward to driving and get some pleasure out of."
I would add,LOADS of pleasure.Even thought it's just an 1,4,I just love the way it drives and it's looks.

#7 ·
Very nice review. Found myself nodding in agreement in a few places but overall it is a very good car (had mine 6 months now). Can't comment on your part on the engine power because I have the 1.8 and very pleased I am with the delivery.:D

#10 ·
Now I'm doing 300 miles at least per week, I might well be swaying towards a Diesel instead. I bought the 1.4 as a run about for the Boss. Due to me having to hand back my company hack, the current Civic is a touch stretched. We'll see though, I'm not looking to upgrade for another two years.

MP

M,p

#13 ·

Nice write up. [smilie=gt-happyup.: I am on my second civic (did a write up myself when I got the EX) and am contemplating the 9th gen. I will stick to the 1.8 as has got enough grunt for me - accelerates up hills very well. The only other model thought about is the CRZ but need to be able to cart grandchildren about......and that rules out the R as well as need five seats!! The magic seats are ace.

#18 ·
The 1.4 is really at home round town. I'm doing 40 moles a day on the motorway and I really could do with a more gutsy motor to be honest. Heh, we're off to Ireland in it Easter time so that should be an epic when it starts. We are touring so that should be a push for it. Glad it's going to be serviced and MOT'd before we go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.