2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a Honda Civic 2001 y reg 1.6 v tec. Today. I parked it on my friends drive. Went in, came out a few hours later. The car had rolled down his long drive, and smashed into a wall. The rear of the car is a mess! I was fuming. I contacted the past owner and he used it to commute and never parked on a hill.

The car is a mess. What if a small child had been down the bottom. I thought had left the handbrake off , but when I got to the bottom the handbrake was full on! Im so appalled. I have heard however that this has been a common problem in the past

Anyone able to help me out on this one please. Aswell as I now need to pay for someones wall. Strange thing is. It must have been a while since it rolled down the hill, as im sure i saw it at the top of the drive about an hour into being in the house!

Anyone able to help me?

Thanks guys

Johno

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
If the handbrake is not on tight the brakes cool and shrink allowing the car to move. It is recommended to leave a car in gear opposing the potential direction of motion to be safe. I've forgotten to do this in the past and found the car in a bush fortunately.

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
isnt it under a recall , if so should it not be covered under warranty

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Recall was for incorrectly fitted springs in the hand brake lever which resulted in the lever releasing completely on its own. If this had happened the lever would be fully down as if the hand brake was never put on.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
This happened to me on our drive, the ended up stopped in the middle of our road (LUCKILY not hit anything)
This was the one time i forgot to put it in gear and i'd given it a quick blast earlier so the brakes were warm

As said earlier, when everything cools it shrinks, sometimes enough to release pressure disks and the car rolls!

ALWAYS put the car in gear when parked :rolleyes:

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
Depends when you bought it surely?
If you have only had it a few days and bought it in that state of maintenance I would be looking at a 'fit for purpose' court case...?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.