2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well what an end to Xmas day! :-/

My brother in law just telephoned me saying his Accord cut out on him whilst dropping his mother back home. It won't restart and the ECU light is on. The engine turns over fine and has plenty of Diesel and no other warning lights lit on the dash.

So I took my mates Blu-tooth OBD along and checked for fault codes and got the follow bloody list! :-( :

P0340, P2004, U0155, P0380, P0670, P0335

From doing a little research at least 2 of the codes seem to point towards glow plugs and one the cam position sensor. My head is telling me that if a glow plug had failed surely the warning light would have shown at some stage prior to it failing. I also checked to see if the fuel pump was working and couldn't hear it when turning the igntion on, so I'm wondering if the fault could be something to do with that, or if having a glow plug fail might stop the pump from priming etc... Proper confused! :-/

I just wondered if anyone might have a better idea on what to do next? Euro Car Parts have plug's on offer at £20 each (not that I know how to fit them or how many I'd need, although I'm pretty handy with the spanners) Do we take the plunge and get plug(s) or is there something glaringly obivous that I'm not thinking of?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,860 Posts
The problem with reading fault codes on this ECU is that you will unfortunately read all fault codes that have ever been registered since the ECU last had all the fault codes deleted (which may have been never!), so you could be looking at 10 years worth of fault codes here... and only one might relate to the current fault. Hopefully you deleted all the stored codes? Whichever ones come back will then be 'real'.

The fuel pump is mechanical, so you won't hear it run at all with the ignition on.

A complete failure of all the glowplugs could cause long cranking to be required if it was a real cold morning, and would point to a relay problem (rather than the individual glow plugs). Glow plugs are simple to check with a multimeter, and it's also easy to check if voltage is present which would prove the relay to be OK. Certainly faulty glowplugs (or relay) wouldn't make the engine suddenly stop, so I'm fairly certain it isn't that.

It might be a sensor, but easy to check with a multimeter to see if there's a circuit present (an oscilloscope is really required to check exactly how well these are working though).

When was the fuel filter last changed, and was it the proper Bosch filter (part number ending in 442)?

Have you tried using quick start on it?

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond on Christmas day.

Yeah I documented the fault codes just in case and for reference and then wiped them. I'm hopfully going to go back tomorrow to check it again to see what codes it throws.

With regards to the fuel pump, on every other injected car I have owned when you toggle the ignition to 'on' I have always heard the system prime, the pump runs for a few seconds. Maybe we are talking about a dififferent pump.

Will have to get the multimetre out and have a good look.

I'm not sure when my brother inlaw last had the fuel filter changed, I will ask him tomorrow morning.

Do you mean WD40 or moisture absorbing spray on the coil pack connectors?

Again, thanks

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,860 Posts
"Do you mean WD40 or moisture absorbing spray on the coil pack connectors?"

And the car is a 2.2 diesel.

Doh!
That last post was Christmas Day!

I think he was confused about my advice to use easy-start on his brother's car. I guess he wasn't familiar with diesels?

Some feedback would have good...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts