2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

Hoping the vast knowledge of this forum may be able to help me work out the problem with my air conditioning. I own a 2006 Civic 1.8 EX and the air con has recently stopped working, the fans and heater still work.

I initially thought it would just require a regas, and so I had this done at a main dealer and after 2 days the aircon would only blow warm air again. I took it back to the main dealer and they proceeded to regas for a second time but included a dye to view where the leak was coming from. Another couple of days later and the aircon would not run cold any longer. I took the car back again and the dealer was unable to find where the leak was coming from and want to book the car in for a detailed inspection at a cost of £85/hour!!

I’ve been reading this forum for the last hour or so and from what I’ve read it doesn’t sound like the problem is fuses or relays. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the issue?

Cheers,

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sounds like a relay buddy!

Quite inexpensive to give it a try least.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a relay buddy!

Quite inexpensive to give it a try least.

Interesting - thanks for the reply... My initial thought was that it wouldn't be a relay as the AC works okay for between 1 & 3 days after being regassed or have I misunderstood something?

·
Train Driver Stu
323 Posts
My experience was the relay failed when the engine got warm. It worked fine on startup but the relay broke down under heat. Given the hot weather lately maybe true for u. Surely at £20 worth a punt?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All - thanks for your help so far, apologies for my lack of response, i've been away on business and wasn't receiving any emails to say there have been new posts.

Anyway - i've just been and looked at the relay... it's an Omron G8HL-H71

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you have the new relay so i'm guessing you have a faulty compressor..
Oh, so i've just wasted £20 on a new relay? brilliant ha!

Although, do you still think the compressor may be the issue when the aircon has worked fine for ~2 days after a regas? Surely the aircon wouldn't work at all if the compressor had gone regardless of gas level?

I'm beginning to feel i'm edging closer to booking it in at Honda at their £85/hour rate :(

·
more torque than the mrs
6,638 Posts
Oh, so i've just wasted £20 on a new relay? brilliant ha!

Although, do you still think the compressor may be the issue when the aircon has worked fine for ~2 days after a regas? Surely the aircon wouldn't work at all if the compressor had gone regardless of gas level?

I'm beginning to feel i'm edging closer to booking it in at Honda at their £85/hour rate :(
could be your relay is faulty , hope its not your compressor but honda's diagnostics will probably point to the compressor or shims its very common practice from honda to replace it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could still be the relay, That's the one I just had changed at Honda when my aircon stopped working. (under warranty) All cold now :)
Cool, well fingers crossed... It should arrive on Thursday and i'll update the thread if it resolves the problem!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As an update to all of this, i've been on the phone to Honda today. They think it's the condenser.

Cost of the genuine part to replace it is £568....

Damn.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Penultimate update - car is now in with Honda; I paid £40 for an inspection which they came back saying it's definitely the condenser

I then paid £280 on top for a new condenser to be fitted and the car regassed.

Expensive problem, but nevermind :(

I'll update the thread one more time next week when i've had the car back a while and the aircon still works (hopefully)!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope relay hasn't been changed.

I've bought the new relay (although it hasn't arrived yet) which i'll be changing over myself when I get the car back to hopefully prevent any compressor issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Similar problem for me. Honda say it's the condenser c £600.
I have the 12mth extended warranty which came with the car from Honda dealer.
Warranty company saying dealer must strip down current condenser, take photos etc at MY cost (c £160) and only then decide if it's covered under warranty or not.

Curious why I've been quoted c £600 vs your £320, @Kitch88

Any advice most welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Similar problem for me. Honda say it's the condenser c £600.
I have the 12mth extended warranty which came with the car from Honda dealer.
Warranty company saying dealer must strip down current condenser, take photos etc at MY cost (c £160) and only then decide if it's covered under warranty or not.

Curious why I've been quoted c £600 vs your £320, @Kitch88

Any advice most welcome.

Thanks

Sonnett,

Sorry for the slow reply - bit of a hectic weekend

My experience was slightly similar to what you're having at the moment - Bristol Honda said they would have to remove the front bumper in order to inspect the condenser at my cost, however the key difference is the charge for this was 'only' half an hours labour (£~42)

After this had been done and Honda confirmed it was definitely the condenser, they offered to replace it at a cost of either £568 for a genuine Honda part or £279 for a non-genuine part; I opted for the non-genuine as they both came with 1-year guarantees.

I ended up paying £307 all in for the check/inspection, part and labour. Hope that helps you somewhat.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts