2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a daily 2006 1.8 Honda civic (fk2) and last week after driving in an unavoidable puddle, the Check ABS and VSA system message has appeared. I have run a diagnostic, cleared all faults and the following still remains:

' 54-1 - Relay fail; safe relay fail '

Does this mean the ABS relay in the exterior fuse box is faulty and needs replacing? Battery was replaced about 8 months ago so cant see this being the issue (as I have read low voltage can be an issue). Anyone with an FN2 or same generation civic had this issue?

Update: Had this issue for a while now and MOT is due so time to get this sorted. See the image attached below. I have tried to remove the ABS/VSA black plastic box fuse as per the diagram - this is #3 for the VSA/ABS - is this the relay? No luck with it as I removed the screw but it won't move at all - is there a way of taking this out/how do you remove this? And where can I get a replacement as I believe this is the best place (and cheapest) to start in solving the issue.

All other fuses seem fine on inspection including the interior fuse box - #4 ABS unit fuse.

All input is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,200 Posts
never came across this one but if its saying relay failure its a good place to start
if you cant get 1 at reasnoble price try a scrap yard

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Got the same (intermittent) for probably the same reason (drove through the ford at Kenilworth Castle last weekend).

I was suspecting a sensor failure but no codes for those, which I assumed would be saved and not deleted on the next start) so I'm suspecting a battery on the way out as I have a low voltage code as far as I can make out - PA50 B1177 and an open recirc flap code PA51 B2983...

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
once you have undone the screw on that fuse just pull upwards to remove
it'l be tight but it will come out

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I have had the car checked over by a local garage also and the same code was thrown up (54-1) and nothing additional. If it were to be sensors or battery related, this would throw up a code right so I won't be chasing those parts.

As far as I am aware, the relay is part of the ABS module / pump if I am correct? So I will probably be replacing the pump and seeing how that goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts