2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I’ve been looking through previous posts relentlessly looking for similar issues to mine but I can’t anything exactly the same.

I bought a very nice example 2006 (56 plate) Civic which on the very short test drive had no issues at all.
I agreed to buy the car but before I took it away my Dad who is an old school lorry mechanic insisted on changing all the filters and checking over it.

when I took it away there a number of irritating problems.
We believe that the timing chain skipped a tooth after the fuel filter change meant it had trouble starting.
I’ve paid for this to be fixed by another mechanic (Dads garage is constantly busy).

the check system message still comes up on screen tho even tho the mechanic (who had the car for a week) insists that the chain was done correctly.
I haven’t had a working speedo since I got it and it goes into limp mode regularly on my 100 mile M4 trips (so thank god coronavirus means there are less cars on the road!)

I got the codes read but I’m at a loss to know what is wrong with the damn thing.
I only paid £1300 and I’ve already paid £220 for the chain to be reset (needed some tensioner part from Honda?) and for a new cam sensor which doesn’t seem to have changed much.

many ideas/ help gratefully received.
I’ve been back to the garage I bought it from but he says it was fine when it left him and my dad insists all he did was change the filters.

these are the error codes:

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Take it back to the seller and point out that under the Consumer Protection regulations any serious fault occurring within 6 months of purchase is down to him. The law allows that those faults must have existed or been developing at time of purchase and it is for him to prove they weren't not for you to prove that they were.
It doesn't matter that this is a 14 year old car.
However, you might be on shaky ground as someone else has been inside the engine but worth a try.

·
4,223 Posts
Depends entirely on whoever changed the filters and possibly jumped the timing chain. (Do you really have to muck with that to change a filter?)
If it was dad, then I don't think that you have a leg to stand on. If the seller, and he wasn't a private seller, then him.

·
i-Vtec
2,560 Posts
Do you really have to muck with that to change a filter?)
My thoughts exactly. The timing chain shouldnt have skipped due to a fuel filter change. TBH its quite normal for diesels to be initially hard to start after a fuel filter change. Chances are the chain had skipped, if indeed it even had, prior to your purchase. Speed Sensor is on top of the gearbox IIRC.

·
4,223 Posts
I don't think that the OP has told 'us' the full story. Why on earth would they even suspect that the timing chain 'had skipped a tooth' unless they had done something directly involving that?
'We' are now into the realms of a load more pretty pointless guesswork and speculation without all the facts.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,858 Posts
I don't think that the OP has told 'us' the full story. Why on earth would they even suspect that the timing chain 'had skipped a tooth' unless they had done something directly involving that?
'We' are now into the realms of a load more pretty pointless guesswork and speculation without all the facts.
Having separately replaced both on a 2.2 iCTDi, there's certainly no way replacing the fuel filter could possibly affect the timing chain!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts