2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi great forum guys with a lot of interesting stuff for a newbie to the Civic.

However, just got my partner a Civic less than 24hrs as her old car was getting on a bit and the dam thing wont start! You can imagine the words flying around, raised blood pressure, and comments from my partner!

So 95k 2.2 diesel started fine yesterday drove great fast excelleration in 6th gear some small puffs of smoke but guess due to it been sitting for past month and only done 130 miles in that time. Glow plug light goes out hit the start button and just turns over but not firing up. Doesn't seem to me to be the battery as turning over fine. Have tried a few pumps of priming buld but still not starting. Tried spare key turns over but still not starting. Spoke to a garage and they say if fuel pump has been replaced (which it has been on last service) then it could be the fuel return valve on the high pressure rail stuck open.

I was hoping someone would be able to give me a few pointers please as to where and how to start checking things to try and try to find the fault before going to Honda dealers and getting told repair costs. I am pretty OK when it comes to pulling cars apart and electrical components.

Thanks very much for any help given and Merry Christmas to one and all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dimplyred

Thanks for your reply. Checked with Honda and this model doesnt have one. Did see this in my handbook but no access panel on drivers side hence no reset button / switch. Thanks

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Hi Dimplyred

Thanks for your reply. Checked with Honda and this model doesnt have one. Did see this in my handbook but no access panel on drivers side hence no reset button / switch. Thanks
Ah. :(

Hopefully someone can help.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,627 Posts
Hi Dimplyred

100% does . take off the triangle drivers side and press the button ,one other thing is the battery good?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Deni.Babe

Just went to have another look and definately no access panel on mine. Took photo but cant see how to attach it!

Hi Jon G

Yes had a look at this link and will have a look tomorrow hopefully as pooring with rain outside at moment!

Thanks again.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,627 Posts
does yours look like this if so then the panel comes off i have put a picture with arrows to show the panel.

[img]http://www.civinfo.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=96861&stc=1&d=1387673678[/img]

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This was exactly the picture I took of mine earlier but couldn't post. Guess cos I'm a newbie!! ;-)

I tried prising off when I took my photo but it didnt seem to want to come off and didnt want to break it so will be a little more forceful tomorrow.

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to take the photo and edit it your very kind. have a great evening and will update as to how I get on tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
This was exactly the picture I took of mine earlier but couldn't post. Guess cos I'm a newbie!! ;-)

I tried prising off when I took my photo but it didnt seem to want to come off and didnt want to break it so will be a little more forceful tomorrow.

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to take the photo and edit it your very kind. have a great evening and will update as to how I get on tomorrow.
It can be pretty tight. I use a credit card or similar to open the left side of the triangle at the seam enough to get a screw driver or finger in and just pull it. Its a fairly robust panel in my experience.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: Removed panel and found reset switch. Thank you deni.babe

Pressed it and it felt like it made a contact as when pressed it again didn't feel and contact. Tried to start it but still not starting.

Is there a process for after this happens? I may give it a jump from my car just in case battery has dropped a bit but it is a new battery.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,788 Posts
Also try running a decent jump lead from the battery negative to something metal on the engine block (make sure they are good, tight connections) to rule out bad engine earthing. This has been reported before.

Otherwise, get a decent real-time OBD2 reader connected up and check that the fuel rail pressure is reaching at least 200 Bar during cranking. If not, then check injector leak-back and relief valve for excessive flow rates.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry another q. If I have my head in engine bay and have my partner turn ignition on should I hear the fuel pump pumping from there or is it at the back? I need to try to get a full work shop manual which will save a lot of q's ;-)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes was wondering if this is worth a go. Whilst pretty ok with shorting pins as I build electronics for a living not sure of the risk factor of even shorting correctly will it do any damage. Dont want to cause more than already have.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts