2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got couple of issues in the past with starting up which I attributed to old battery (car is 2007, bought by me couple of months ago), so I replaced it with a new one. Yesterday when I got home, I switched off the car (so the engine was hot), and tried to switch it on again a minute later. Pressing on the button doesn't produce crank. lights are dimmed on pressing, also it's possible to hear loud click sound on pressing and releasing of the button (so I suppose that break switch is working properly). After resting for 1 day, it still wasn't cranking, so I cleared eeprom by removing battery for 10 minutes, and miracle, it started without any hesitation. This brings me to think that it's something inside "brains", any suggestions on what it might be?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It could have been a poor battery connection that removal/refitting has now corrected?
Don't think so, everything else (dash lights, xenon etc) was working properly. I think I will be finally getting one of those diagnostic hds cables in order to be able to see the issues :(

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Don't think so, everything else (dash lights, xenon etc) was working properly. I think I will be finally getting one of those diagnostic hds cables in order to be able to see the issues :(
the dash lights / headlights draw no where near the current that starting an engine does and isn't really a good indication of how well the battery terminals are seated, all might seem well until the starter motor demands the current it needs and a loose connection or bad earth will then show up

the starter motor itself might be on it's way out but i would be having a good look at the earth straps and battery clamps before moving on to the starter mortor

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,791 Posts
You said the lights dimmed... that is a key indication of a poor electrical connection 'collapsing' the available voltage when the starter demands a large current. Or this could also be the sign of a flat/faulty battery.

HDS will not help you to find basic electrical problems. A multimeter is what you need.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It is battery issues. Is poor battery or something drain your battery very quickly. It could be the Bluetooth module. Ex model has factory navi and Bluetooth bodule just for phone calls. Disconnect bt and charge you battery to start a engine 👍

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
you need to test with a meter
sounds like you do have a intermitent battery problem the loud click will be the startor soilanoid kicking in but not enough power to turn startor
it may be low battery voltage or a poor conection somewhere

1 - 8 of 8 Posts