2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have baught a 2007 type a gt 2.2 that has an issue. The issue is it starts and drives faultless unless the temp drops close to or below freezing. Once started it's fine all day long. I have check and changed oil, filter, glow plugs and all sensors are not showing any fault codes. Now this is what happens when it's cold overnight, turn keys to ll and press button to start and car starts then cuts and this is repeated for about 10/30 minutes until it fires into life. I have read about the fuel pump relay causing issues but when I looked where it should be (in cabin by drivers knee on the right) it's not there. So my question is this, if it's not there how does the car start and drive fine at all and starts easy on mild/warm to hot mornings. How does this work as without one I'd assume it would not start at all, thanks in advance
Regards Neil

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is your battery healthy enough? Also worths checking pressure relief valve in the fuel system.

"All 2.2 i-CTDi engines have this valve on the drivers-side end of the fuel rail. If it becomes leaky then the fuel rail will struggle to reach enough pressure during cranking, which results in either a long cranking time during starting or even a complete failure to start (often worse when hot). This problem has been discovered quite a few times and a complete fix can easily be undertaken once the problem is confirmed." Copied from the other forums and this might help you, I hope.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have change the starter/cut switch which seems to have helped. But as of late we have had mild mornings and hasn't really struggled since. I have noticed that I only have a single relay as opposed to all others I have seen having 2. I think it's related but was just going to pop in another relay as I have the old one which is the same part listed by honda and see if this helps my situation and also keep that pressure valve in mind fella. Thanks for the reply

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,809 Posts
Is your battery healthy enough? Also worths checking pressure relief valve in the fuel system.
Good suggestions. I'd add fuel filter to the list, as it could be that cold weather is causing the thicker fuel (possibly with waxy solids, if it's really cold) to struggle to flow though a partially-blocked or poor quality aftermarket filter

There's no relay for the fuel pump because it's a mechanical fuel pump, driven by the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I thought about the relay for the fuel pump but have noticed that all other diesels have a secondary relay, starter/cut relay 2. I shall try and add a pic but I have a single starter/cut relay and Haynes and Honda state 2. Does this sound correct? I have the second relay but have been hesitant to just point in, any advice welcome.

Attachments

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,809 Posts
No idea, but there's definitely no electrical feed to the i-CDTi fuel pump assembly (which is a co-located high pressure pump and lift pump). The later iDTEC Honda diesel did have an electric lift pump in the tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that the pressure relief valve is a good shout alongside the fuel filter as previously stated but I'm still not 100% on only having 1 relay or 2 which is driving me nutty but will be replacing the pressure relief valve when pay day comes around

1 - 7 of 7 Posts