2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

I'm new to these forums so hope I have put this in the correct section! I have just purchased a second hand Honda Civic 2.2 Diesel. When I have parked the car on the drive and then reversed off I have noticed there is a small pool of Oil on the floor in areas where I have parked. These appear to come from the middle of the engine area on the right side. I have checked the Oil level and it is fine.

When I looked underneath the car there were traces of oil but I couldnt quite see where exactly it would be coming from as it is all pretty well covered.

I was just wondering if this is something that is common and what exactly it could be and how urgently I need to take it to a garage and have it looked at? Any advice will be greatly appreciated as I am sure it will help ensure when I take it to be fixed I can guide them to a problem to stop me being fleeced by a local mechanic.

Thanks very much in advance

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Absolutely not "common". How much oil are we talking about here?
If it were me and I'd just bought the car I'd be straight back to where I bought it and demand they fix it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem I have is that the car was a private sale. The car has full service history and a good few months MOT left and obviously when I looked round the car there were no obvious signs.

I always have bad luck with cars and hoped that would change with the very reliable Honda reputation...but my bad luck seems to have struck again.

I would say over the space of 5 hours it is about a leak leaving around 5-10ml of oil

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Straight down to your dealer then mate; have them take a look at it for you. Unfortunately there's not much room in the engine bay to try and pinpoint it yourself!

·
Registered
218 Posts
What is common is people spilling oil onto the splash guard and not cleaning up. This then can drip back and cause issues. I know as Ive done this myself and then had to get it all cleaned up.

My only other leak I had on my ictdi was a leaking turbo banjo bolt when the manifold was changed.

If its not using oil and you 100% now thats the case then I would get some cardboard under the engine over night to see where its roughly coming from.

·
Registered
721 Posts
My 7th gen civic did this, it was leaking very small amount of oil from a gearbox. If I remember correctly it was a faulty o ring or a bolt, I forgot. The cardboard advice is spot on, this is what mechanics suggested I do to confirm the leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.