2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 honda civic 1.4 i-dsi (L13A7) Cylinders 1,2,3 & 4 misfire and random misfire DTC

Hi All,

Need some help diagnosing a problem on the wife's civic.
Last week she was driving and the engine warning light came on and the VSA lamp came on. She noticed a drop in power and hesitation in the engine. I took the car to a local mechanic and the diagnostics revealed a faulty #5 ignition coil and misfires in three out of the four cylinders. (there are 8 plugs and 8 coils since it is dual ignition spark)

I changed the #5 ignition coil (right hand side most coil in rear bank of four) and all 8 spark plugs -NGK. Made no difference to the car, still hesitating, I then borrowed a WOW diagnostics tool which is telling me I have misfires on all four cylinders and a random misfire, but the #5 coil fault has disappeared.

Faults codes P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303 & P0304

When idling, the car doesn't run rough but when you start to drive the issue emerges. I reset all the fault codes last night, then started the car and she did not set any fault codes again while idling.

The oil level was also low when I checked, I topped up to about half way between min and max.

There is also a burning smell (when I step out of the car), I only drove the car a couple of miles down the road and I could smell it.

Can anyone help?
What are the most likely causes of these failures?

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
Welcome to :civinfo:, sorry to hear that you are having issues tho.

It's odd that ECU is reporting misfires across all cylinders, which suggests an problem somewhere else rather than a specific cylinder.

Maybe there is an inlet manifold leak, EGR valve is sticking, MAF sensor needs a clean, etc?

Reference P0301 - OBD-II Trouble Code

The burning smell maybe a symptom rather than cause but did the old plugs look okay?

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Sounds like the coil pack need changing. If it specifies the cylinder it ps usually the ht leads. Stick some new sparks in as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts