2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, i would like to ask your opinion, i cant decide what engine to choose, due to my "job" (food delivery) I'm driving 80 -90 km daily and about 550 weekly in urban areas , starting / stoping after 1-5 km, initially i was thinking to buy the cdti 2.2 , but i have concerns, should i stick to the cdti or buy the 1.8 i-vtec instead, which one is more reliable for me? thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Have a read through the boards on here to get a feel for common issues

In my opinion I see more threads for problems with the 2.2 engine but that could mean

1)it's more popular
2)it is a.Lot more.complex.with egr.valves.and dual.mass.fluwheels.etc.

Due to the age of these cars now common problems seem to be established thankfully which is great news for buyers

I have a petrol 1.8 btw

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Perhaps not the answer you're looking for, but if the purpose for the car is as described, my experiences with the petrol and diesel civics would lead me to a 1.2 Honda Jazz.

Reasons : Jazz-dead easy to get in and out of, compact body, masses of interior space, exellent turning circle, light and easy controls/good visibility, brilliant fuel/urban economy, lively drive, cheap running costs-tyres, insurance etc.

The civics will do all the above, but not convinced stop start urban driving cycle is best suited for the car.

·
i-Vtec
2,224 Posts
I agree with @Malcster75. TBH im not a diesel fan in any shape form or fashion. They are way to complex these days, and with complexity comes expense. Yes the 1.8 does not have the punch of a Turbo diesel, or the fuel economy, but what it makes up for in simplicity wins my votes hands down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks pal, currently whit my 1.4 Vvti im getting arround 8l /100 km , what do you think about 1.8 ivtec? could i get the same consumption or a little bit more lets say 8.5? That wouldn't bother me at all..

·
i-Vtec
2,224 Posts
No idea about town driving as most of mine is Motorway. Yesterday I did a round trip of 168 miles(70% motorway, 30% B roads) and returned an MPG of 49.2 on the BC, which is 10.83 km/lt. And that included using the Air conditioning for around 75% of the journey.

·
Super Moderator
1,094 Posts
No idea about town driving as most of mine is Motorway. Yesterday I did a round trip of 168 miles(70% motorway, 30% B roads) and returned an MPG of 49.2 on the BC, which is 10.83 km/lt. And that included using the Air conditioning for around 75% of the journey.
Did a round trip of nearly 250 miles this weekend in our 2010 1.8 petrol, first leg cross country & dual carriageway, return on dual & motorway.
Giving it 70-80 mph plus a/c for a lot of the time, dial showed 41 mpg. Driven with some care then 46 mpg is quite possible.
I would say go for the petrol, it has the magic seats of the Jazz so huge load capacity without the slightly less reliable diesel engine. Depending on where you live diesels are beginning to become the next anti-christ and the 2.2 is only Eu4 the petrol Eu5. You probably won't notice much difference in fuel consumption with lots of stop/start town driving.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Ive had the diesel and the petrol mk8. The 2.2 then the 1.8. Both have good and bad points. Less to worry about with the petrol as you avoid the clutch issues and cracked manifold but lose out on the better mpg. As for the jazz i know there good cars but look wise its a no for me. I actually had an older jazz and it was a great car but i like a car i think looks good as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you guys, i think i will choose the 1.8 petrol over the diesel, usually im driving after 5pm -1 am , the roads aren't that busy, hopefully i will get 8.5l/km if i watch my foot ? thank you very much for your help , i really appreciate it .

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Hi - I've done 100k miles in my diesel, the car is on 134k.

Other than a Clutch / Flywheel when I purchased it (due to being 07 plate) I've had no issues whatsoever.

I've replaced tyres, brakes, and a battery.... and nothing else.

Just done a 200 mile journey, and managed 63.5mpg... not bad for an old one!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Taking your job into consideration I would also go with the 1.8 petrol. Not that I'm biased or anything!...

I will say that driving mine was a bit of a learning curve for me at first, you do have to wind the revs up to unlock the full potential of the engine, but given what you've said about economy being a prime consideration, you shouldn't need to do this too much anyway.

My on-screen computer currently reads 34mpg but don't be too alarmed by this, it's mainly urban driving, and I possess what many would consider to be a 'lead foot'. If you baby it, early to mid-40s is achievable. Obviously not a patch on what you'd get with the diesel though.

Can't say a lot about reliability because mine only has 48k but being a Honda, I fully expect it to be a long-termer, despite my penchant for booting it everywhere... given the lack of turbo on the 1.8 and potential expensive failures with the diesel, I'd expect it to at least match the reliability of the 2.2.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought yesterday 1.8 petrol. I choosen it because driving area will be only city, short distances 3-10KM usually.
I think it's better for short distance and lot of stops. First look is definetly more enjoyable drive with petrol engine (my previously car was diesel, but not honda).
I can tell you later about fuel consumption, but as per previously owner it was ~9l / 100km in city. Mixed consumption arround 7l-7.5l / 100km

BTW my colleague gave me a ride with 2.2 diesel, type S. Diesel would win I think :smile3:
But I prefer petrol engine instead, working so quietly.
As per colleague consumption of diesel in city is arround 7L/100KM.

I think you choosing civic not because it's work car, but because it's nice to drive with it. So you should choose petrol, even if consumption is bigger, but long term start/stop will have influence for diesel engine condition. But personal with this milage if I would have possibility time to time not stop engine in delivery place, then I would pick diesel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts