2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just done a run of 200 miles, all motorway, hovering at 80 mph and sometimes speeding up to 95 and then back down to 80mph, I averaged 42 mph, Is this good?

I used to have a 2007 5 door Non Type S 2.2 diesel and I seem to remember that car doing 47mpg on the same journey..

Are these two engines not the same? or are there differences?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi I totally agree, however even on a virtually empty motorway, its hard to go slower than 80 and more to the point more dangerous.

If I stick to the speed limit of 70, I have a smile on my face as the mpg rises however concerns because I am sandwiched between lorries and constantly slow land, middle lane, slow lane.

having said that I am certain my old 5 door civic averaged 47mpg at the higher speeds.

thanks

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Don't know about a 2009 model, but in my 08 car an indicated 80mph is actually only 72mph - the speedo is about 10% fast, as I'm sure most owners have found.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have just done a run of 200 miles, all motorway, hovering at 80 mph and sometimes speeding up to 95 and then back down to 80mph, I averaged 42 mph, Is this good?

I used to have a 2007 5 door Non Type S 2.2 diesel and I seem to remember that car doing 47mpg on the same journey..

Are these two engines not the same? or are there differences?

Thanks
Speeding up to 95?!

I think you need to slow down, your MPGs and license will thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Hi I totally agree, however even on a virtually empty motorway, its hard to go slower than 80 and more to the point more dangerous.

If I stick to the speed limit of 70, I have a smile on my face as the mpg rises however concerns because I am sandwiched between lorries and constantly slow land, middle lane, slow lane.

having said that I am certain my old 5 door civic averaged 47mpg at the higher speeds.

thanks
On a virtually empty motorway you would not be sandwiched between lorries and constantly slow lane, middle lane, slow lane.

If you reduce your speed to ... lets say to 65 ... you will get 60+ mpg :D and you will not be constantly slow lane, middle lane, slow lane

You should really modify you original post :wink:

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
2009 type s, I have a 250 mile commute (500 round trip) every week, between this and some stop/ start town driving I average 50.2 mpg over 3000 miles every month, sometimes I get more. I tend to sit at 70 on cruise, I also have a sat nav which shows the speed, they are within 2 mph of each other, 10% seems quite a bit out

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I've just done a run to alton towers in my 06 civic 2.2 with a stage 2 remap over 271 miles ,4 people and fully loaded boot. had the cruise control set to 74mph and averaged 60.7mpg.
Thats the best I've ever had.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
i was well shocked especially with all the weight in the car. Yeah my sat nav at the time was saying between 68 and 69 mph. Also i finished that tank of full and covered 500 miles. trip computer said i had more in there but i don't trust running on the fuel light and trusting trip computers as it brings bad memories lol :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'm pretty sure that it is the pre 2009 models that have the 10% speedo read error. Maybe someone else can confirm?
This isn't an error. Most manufacturers build in +5-10% into the speedo. Covers you and any legal dispute when problems with speeding arise.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
This isn't an error. Most manufacturers build in +5-10% into the speedo. Covers you and any legal dispute when problems with speeding arise.
Yeah, it's handy to have some built in optimism for your licence's sake - I just think that 10% is a bit over the top, particularly at 70mph.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Id like my mpg reading to just lie to me and make me feel good :lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Kilometers per Liter :)

Hello,

I had a drive a month ago up to the north.
1200 kilometers and the average fuel consumption was 4.1 L/100km
Average speed was 92km/h.

I have never able to go under 4L/100km.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts