2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having seen that this is fitted to the 2009 model civics. Who has this on there new car, and how does it show up. ie in the middle of the rev counter?

I pressume there is a sender fitted to the wheel rim and sent to the car?

How much does the tyre need to go down before the warning come on?

Regards

·
Registered
123 Posts
It monitors the number of revolutions of a tyre and compares that to the other 3 while the car is running. If the revolutions suddenly change, it 'knows' the Tyre has got smaller therefore it's flat.

·
Registered
882 Posts
from memory i think the tyres go to 2.4 bar, last time mine came on was about 1.9/2.0ish bar i think, wouldnt bet my life on it tho, but plenty warning to check them out, it doesnt wait til the tyres almost flat etc. its pretty good actually, u certainly wouldnt notice that the pressure has gone down looking at it.

·
LOUD NOISES!!!
5,369 Posts
Having seen that this is fitted to the 2009 model civics. Who has this on there new car, and how does it show up. ie in the middle of the rev counter?

How much does the tyre need to go down before the warning come on?

Regards
The warning symbol is in the top right of the dash near the VSA warning light

·
Registered
26 Posts
Word of warning. I don't know how reliable Honda sensors are but I've had sensors on a previous car and the 'Industry' USED to say that if they worked for more than 3 years you were lucky (Probabley just related to French poo).

Out of interest are the ones on the Civic wheel specific? or do you get a general warning a tyre has lost pressure?

·
Registered
36 Posts
You also may have to initilise it via the menu system using the info/select buttons. Ideally you should do this every time you do anything to the tyres, i.e put air in, and then drive it for a few miles to allow the system to calibrate.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Out of interest are the ones on the Civic wheel specific? or do you get a general warning a tyre has lost pressure?
The manual is a bit vague on that one, rally. It actually says that -

'The deflation warning system indicator may come on when...
  • Two or more tyres are deflated at the same time
  • One or more tyres are deflated significantly'
So basically, in English, If the light comes on at least one tyre may be low, there is no specific distinction of tyres.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My ES GT is less than 6 months old and my tyre warning has come on. I have checked all 4 tyre pressures and they are all spot on, so looks like a faulty sensor or something.....into the dealer tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
By the way, where did you find any explanation of the tyre warning system in the manual???

I can't find any reference to it or any reference to the warning light

·
Registered
26 Posts
My ES GT is less than 6 months old and my tyre warning has come on. I have checked all 4 tyre pressures and they are all spot on, so looks like a faulty sensor or something.....into the dealer tomorrow!!!
Typical, guess they are all as unreliable as eachother!

·
Registered
36 Posts
By the way, where did you find any explanation of the tyre warning system in the manual???

I can't find any reference to it or any reference to the warning light
it's near the back, about page 400 - 500, near the sections on changing lights, oil etc. Sorry haven't got the manual to hand but it's definitely in there.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello

Does that mean there is no sensor inside the tyre?

So if one was to change the standard wheels the system would still work, as it measures the circumference of the wheel? not the actual pressure?

Regards

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello

Does that mean there is no sensor inside the tyre?

So if one was to change the standard wheels the system would still work, as it measures the circumference of the wheel? not the actual pressure?

Regards
In theory the system will still work, you would have to initialise it after changing the wheels, however it may cause some issues if the circumference of the tyre is changed too dramatically, i.e using larger profile tyres on the rims.

The system must work with the Rage wheels which will have a slightly larger circumference including tyres so there is definitely some room for modification whilst still allowing the system to work.

If it's not obvious from the above, no there is not a sensor in the tyres [I used to think the same thing] but instead the system monitors how many times each wheel turns compared to the rest and from this calculates if tyre pressure is low, as a tyre with lower pressure would turn more times per distance travelled.

·
Registered
43 Posts
As mentioned earlier, you do have to initialise it again each time you do anything with your tyres - even checking the tyre pressure as I have noticed...Otherwise the warning will pop up when you drive fast and long enough...

Personal experience:
Checked tyre pressure the day before making a trip to Cornwall from the East side of London. Was fine driving through London, but once I hit the M4 and increased my speed to 70mph, the warning light came on. Pulled over to check each tyre and only found out afterwards that I forgot to initialise the warning system..

The sensor isn't tyre specific which is quite annoying, so even if there is a leak, you probably wouldn't know which tyre it is straight away...

·
My other woman is my CTR
1,505 Posts
Word of warning. I don't know how reliable Honda sensors are but I've had sensors on a previous car and the 'Industry' USED to say that if they worked for more than 3 years you were lucky (Probabley just related to French poo).

remember that honda are usually a fair number of years later than other manufacturers in implementing technology. for example... the flip key... folding wing mirrors... voice recognition ... aux in! hid lights... and now tire deflation warning system... however I have found that they seem to wait that bit longer to include these features but they seem to get them right. apparently keyless entry is their next trick, according to my dealer, now bmw and renault have worked out all the problems for them!

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Do you mean keyless ignition (Renault style) or keyless entry ?

We have keyless entry now, if you allow the remote control into the equation

If you mean the Lexus style where as you approach the car with key in pocket it unlocks, I'm not sure about that. You keep going back to check it hasn't unlocked again as you walk away.

Remote does me fine :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts