2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

2010 1.8 Si Automatic

Tags
adevice auto
2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  cb550 
#1 ·
Hi all

I’m considering buying a 2010 1.8 Si Civic, but with automatic gears.

I didn’t realise initially the car I was viewing was automatic but I have agreed to take a look at it...then realised.

How reliable is the auto gearbox on these models? How are they to drive?

It has only covered 33k

I’ve never owned an automatic before and I’m a bit on the fence over it.

Cheers!

#2 ·
Can't really fault ours. 106k on the clock and to me drives like a new car. Box is smooth changing and kicks down imediately given any throttle.

A lttle more thirsty than the manual. After driving my TT Audi (a good car), the more relaxed driving position, light steering, relative isolation from road noise plus the easy auto box, all make the car pretty effortless to live with if that's what appeals.

#6 ·
Suspect you've not driven auto's? No need to do anything. Press the throttle pedal and the box changes down one or even two gears in literally an instant. In a way, the car can be driven/make quicker progress than a manual 1.8 because it finds the correct gear, where in the manual the driver has to physically select that gear. The 1.8 does'nt have a lot of torque so needs a fair bit of work with the gearbox to keep it in its 'power band'

Downside to a/the auto is that when slowing down auto boxes tend to hang on longer in high gears, thus engine braking is typically less than when driving a manual.

Reactions: Kwyjobo
#7 ·
Believe it or not, I do occasionally drive autos’ as part of a job, but only ever really at crawling speed around a car factory.

Never been on the road in an auto so I’m not confident in my experience with them, what to look out for, reliability etc...

I’ll be honest, I’m kinda put off, I feel like I’m not going to enjoy the less sense of control.

If the car was a manual I was looking at, I wouldn’t be hesitating at all.

#8 ·
Only answer, really is to try it. As said, can't fault ours. Replacement next year will def. be another auto.

Also as as said, a little more thirsty, 40+ on the motorway, 26/27 town driving (at least with our car !)

#13 ·
Using left foot on the brake when doing slow speed manoeuvres stops you "losing control" by stamping on gas pedal by mistake. If more people did it there would not be the accidents that happen when parking in particular.

#14 ·
If your new to autos then take your left shoe off. Bare foot or sock.

It reminds you you don't need your left foot.

I've been driving autos since about 1977 and I've only ever used my right foot, as you do with a manual for the brake and accelerator.

#20 ·
I suspect many teach right foot only.
That is why many older drivers "lose control" if they hit the go pedal by mistake.
With no left foot covering the brake they go off like a scalded cat because they can't react so quickly and hit the brake with the right foot.

#17 ·
The Auto in a 2010 is 'proper' old school torque converter type, it's proven tech.
very quick to drop down if you floor it to get into vtec power mode (about 5400 rpm)
it is a bit thirsty though, a mix of town/motorway driving returns about 32mpg (the dash incorrectly reads about 35 mpg)
As for your left foot, let it relax on the footrest provided and forget about it!

#19 ·
very quick to drop down if you floor it to get into vtec power mode (about 5400 rpm)
Not in a 1.8. The 1.4 and 1.8 engines have an economy version of VTEC, not the power version of VTEC found in the 2.0 in the Type R. In the 1.4 and 1.8 VTEC is on when cruising under light engine load at 3,500RPM or less, high engine load at any time or RPM is full power mode.

You certainly will notice better acceleration at high RPM regardless though, the 1.4 and 1.8 don't produce peak horsepower until just short of the redline.

#21 ·
Those that drive two footed......

In normal driving where is your left foot, by the brake pedal or resting on it ?

If it's anything like mine just resting your foot on the pedal triggers the brake lights. I also wonder whether they realise it could also cause brake pad wear.

I just don't get it.

#23 ·
As already posted, our ex gt auto gives 40+ on the motorway and 26/27 around town.

Looking at figures for the 9 gen, they do give better numbers. High on the list poss replacement for ours is the 9 gen SR Auto.

Reactions: hifive
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.