2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2010 2.2 CDTI Civic EX with just shy of 90,000 on the clock and over the last day or so, I have noticed the clutch starting to slip. 4th gear, around 2000 rpm, the revs rise to 3000 rpm and drop again.

Had the car for about 2 months and Ive added around 2000 miles on it in that time. I purchased from a Trade Dealer but not Honda so no warranty that I know of. Not noticed this issue before the last couple of days.

So, I have a few questions:
1) Am I right in thinking that it is the clutch on the way out?
2) If so, is there anything Honda will do? I am aware of the issue that Civic have with the clutches but considering the mileage - I'm not so sure.
3) Any advice on how to approach the situation?
4) Is it safe to replace just the clutch or does the DMF (which I'm assuming it has - not aware of any modifications) need to be changed as well?

Thanks

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,896 Posts
Had the car for about 2 months and Ive added around 2000 miles on it in that time. I purchased from a Trade Dealer but not Honda so no warranty that I know of. Not noticed this issue before the last couple of days.
I'm pretty sure a motor trader is obliged to provide a warranty, Honda dealer or not (nothing at all special about Honda dealers, btw... they just sell the same cars but for more money!).

So definitely take the matter up with them.

2) If so, is there anything Honda will do? I am aware of the issue that Civic have with the clutches but considering the mileage - I'm not so sure.
4) Is it safe to replace just the clutch or does the DMF (which I'm assuming it has - not aware of any modifications) need to be changed as well?
1) Possibly it is BUT often slipping on the i-CTDi can be a sign of limited wear for which the pressure plate self-adjuster will eventually compensate... surprisingly they do often recover and then go on apparently indefinitely (mine did and there are many reports of the same thing from others here).
2) It is definitely worth talking to Honda UK... success will depend upon several factors, including whether the car has been serviced by Honda.
3) I'd simply go back to where you bought it and complain. Threaten them with Trading Standards, if necessary.
4) It's a big, expensive job in terms of labour to access the clutch and DMF, so many would say it would be prudent to replace the DMF while your there. However, Honda themselves would not replace a DMF unless they discover the internal free play to exceed 36mm.

This may be of interest to you, particularly if you ever think you may one day want a (very popular) power remap... http://www.civinfo.com/forum/cg-motorsport/181233-666-new-price-400-a.html#post2662793

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1) Possibly it is BUT often slipping on the i-CTDi can be a sign of limited wear for which the pressure plate self-adjuster will eventually compensate... surprisingly they do often recover and then go on apparently indefinitely (mine did and there are many reports of the same thing from others here).
2) It is definitely worth talking to Honda UK... success will depend upon several factors, including whether the car has been serviced by Honda.
3) I'd simply go back to where you bought it and complain. Threaten them with Trading Standards, if necessary.
4) It's a big, expensive job in terms of labour to access the clutch and DMF, so many would say it would be prudent to replace the DMF while your there. However, Honda themselves would not replace a DMF unless they discover the internal free play to exceed 36mm.

This may be of interest to you, particularly if you ever think you may one day want a (very popular) power remap... http://www.civinfo.com/forum/cg-motorsport/181233-666-new-price-400-a.html#post2662793
Had a quick chat with Honda and they were quite defensive and saying how they would need to strip it down and check it first. Thing is, I don't want to give it to Honda to find it is under normal parameters and have to pay them for a clutch change when I can get it done cheaper by my normal guy.

Car was serviced and MOT'd around November so I haven't had to do that yet. The last year or so of services have been third party, before that it was FSH from Honda - have the stamps.

Could try chasing up the Trader (operated out of his house but has a company) but its a 2 hour drive away and the problem has only manifested in the last day, the previous 2k miles have been fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Regarding the first point - how soon would that compensation take effect?

Driving home today - it didn't slip in 4th but it did once in 5th and once in 6th.

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts
I'm pretty sure a motor trader is obliged to provide a warranty, Honda dealer or not (nothing at all special about Honda dealers, btw... they just sell the same cars but for more money!).

So definitely take the matter up with them.
I'm of the same opinion, but think that it may only be 30 days.

:dito: point 2. Was a known fault, and with :honda: service stamps in your book, you may get lucky. You've nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

If they do agree to a replacement clutch, under warranty, would strongly recommend a new DMF at the same time, even if you have to pay for it. Will be cost effective in the long run.

Btw, listen to Jon_G, he knows his stuff, even if he does smell of goats. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.

I will definitely be going to Honda to try and chase this issue but just wondering what kind of luck I would have with the mileage. Also, as mentioned earlier, concerned about how I can get them to agree without them having to take the clutch out. They want £650 for just the clutch replacement (parts and labour) otherwise - no DMF.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just back from Honda and so far it's a no can do. One of the technicians drove it and said it is definitely slipping, even in third. As expected, they are using the mileage as their defence. They said they can strip down and check (for £614!) or fit a new clutch for £640. They said they would photograph the clutch and send the images to head office to see if they would entertain doing it free of cost but obviously that is pointless because it would cost be over £600 for that!

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Have a 2010 2.2 CDTI Civic EX with just shy of 90,000 on the clock and over the last day or so, I have noticed the clutch starting to slip. 4th gear, around 2000 rpm, the revs rise to 3000 rpm and drop again.

So, I have a few questions:

Thanks
Sales of good act gives you a 6 month warranty, whether it's implied by the dealer or not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sales of good act gives you a 6 month warranty, whether it's implied by the dealer or not.
Would that apply to items that can come under wear and tear though? I know that if I sold a used car and after some months the customer came back saying that the tyres have worn, I wouldn't be doing much. I realise that is a more straightforward example but the same premise applies.

I feel that proving that and getting it sorted would be more effort than it is worth. Especially considering that the person I purchased it from is over 100 miles away.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
With a slipping clutch it's upto the dealer to prove the problem wasn't there at time of sale. Give them a ring and see what they say.

My brother purchased a Mazda, had it for 3 months and the dpf light came up....it needed a new one. He fought his case with the dealer who initially wanted none of it.

Due to sales of good act....part was expected to last 6 months minimum if inspected correctly before the sale. The garage had to fit a new dpf to the cost of around a grand.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Its a wear and tear part, so the dealer can prove its possible for a clutch to be okay one day, then 2000 miles later start slipping. That's perfectly possible, and its impossible for them to examine it before sale, so they could easily claim it was working when sold.

Honda won't pay, mine slipped at 35k.... And they were not interested....

·
Registered
127 Posts
I bought my 57 plate FK3 with 144k on the clock in April 2013. Its now got 175k

Both winter periods of 2013/4 & 2014/5 it suffered a bit of a slippy clutch on heavy acceleration for a period of a few weeks, then it went away. Its currently fine...but I'm heavily conscious of the potential cost it might set me back on a car which is only worth ~£2k.

I'd love to find out whether its ever had a replacement clutch via the Honda network, so it would be good if someone on the forum could shout up if they have access to check.

But I subscribe to this auto-adjust theory. I just consider there will be one time in the future when it won't recover and I'll have a massive bill :-/

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought my 57 plate FK3 with 144k on the clock in April 2013. Its now got 175k

Both winter periods of 2013/4 & 2014/5 it suffered a bit of a slippy clutch on heavy acceleration for a period of a few weeks, then it went away. Its currently fine...but I'm heavily conscious of the potential cost it might set me back on a car which is only worth ~£2k.

I'd love to find out whether its ever had a replacement clutch via the Honda network, so it would be good if someone on the forum could shout up if they have access to check.

But I subscribe to this auto-adjust theory. I just consider there will be one time in the future when it won't recover and I'll have a massive bill :-/
I've heard the winter slip a few times now. Wouldn't mind if that was the case as it would at least buy me a few months to prepare some money for replacement. I'm also mindful that I don't want the clutch to completely fail somewhere and leave me stranded. Had enough issues like that with my previous car, my Laguna!

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,896 Posts
I image that's normal if you own a French car!:p

It's more likely to recover and be indefinitely OK...

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
If the dealer you bought it from gave a warranty it would probably be limited to what it covered and most are worse than main dealers for honouring it. If your going to pay honda to look at it and they wiggle out of doing the job for mileage, age etc it would make economic sense for them to replace the clutch and god forbid the flywheel while its apart. At least you only paid once.
I bought private so I know I've taken a chance but know where I stand. Good luck and I hope honda come down on your side.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep - based on the advice I got, when I do replace it, it will be the whole deal. However, won't be with Honda if they don't cover it. My regular guy will charge a third of the labour costs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So had a chat with someone from Honda Head Office on the phone and basically the reply was - you have 90k miles, outside warranty and we won't consider a single thing. No replacement, no contribution, no assessing photos of the clutch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts