2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been done to death but I recently (two weeks ago) bought a 2010 Honda Civic 2.2 (97k miles) from an independent used car dealership. Absolutely love the car but noticed a few days ago that the roof has a line of corrosion just above the windshield (runs the entire width of the windshield). I have researched quite extensively and realise that it is a very common issue.

I am the third owner and the car has 7 years of Honda service stamps with the last three stamps coming from an independent garage (presumably from the second owner). I know Honda have been known to fix this issue on cars under 12 years old but not sure where I would stand as the third owner. I have phoned three local body repair shops who were all reluctant to take the work on but found a fourth who I am going in to see tomorrow for a quote (just in case I cannot get a resolution from Honda - which seems a probable outcome).

Is it even worth me trying with Honda in these circumstances? What would happen if I just left it, will the car be ready for the scrap heap in a couple of years? Sooner perhaps? I am honestly considering rejecting the car as I am still within 30 days (a shame as it is otherwise a great car).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I have read that it can take a long time to get a decision from Honda, so that would take me outside of my 30 day right to reject with the seller which is why I am wondering what will happen if I leave the corrosion (ie how long the car will last) if the quote to repair is too high.

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,085 Posts
Yeah this is a super common problem on the 8th gen. My FN2 had a poor fix done by an independent garage some years back and the roof was resprayed in not the most professional of ways. I see you said you have 30 days, in that case it's very unlikely you'd get an answer from Honda. I hear they are very picky and usually deny people without a full Honda service history and over 12 years. Some have succeed though!

You could check and see how much it would cost to have it fixed and decide if it's worth doing or returning the car. Personally I wouldn't just leave rust to do it's thing as the longer you leave it the worst it'll get mate.

How bad is it? Have any pictures?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please see images above. Although it looks much worse in the images, mine still seems a little worse than some I've seen, so naturally a little concerned.

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,085 Posts
Please see images above. Although it looks much worse in the images, mine still seems a little worse than some I've seen, so naturally a little concerned.
If you're keeping the car I'd definitely get that sorted, might be a good idea to have it looked at and get a quote how much it would cost to fix it out of pocket. I wouldn't put much faith that Honda would sort it for free mate.
I believe (but I might not be remembering correctly) that it's a several hundred quid job to fix the rust, paint it and replace the rubber strip to the updated version.
Yours does seem a little worse than others I've seen too.
You could always ask for some money off the car from whoever you bought it from?

·
Super Moderator
3,992 Posts
like @Das says if you don't ask you won't get
that is quite bad, could well be a screen out job if it's gone too far under the seal.

·
Registered
653 Posts
You will never eradicate rust that has taken hold like that. Cosmetic attention will only last a short while

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, thanks for all the replies! I took it in to a reputable local body repair shop for a quote this morning. The chap looked at the issue and confirmed that it would be a very big job as the wind screen would need to be removed but agreed to give me a written quote. he came back five minutes later and said that his boss had rejected the job as it carried too much liability for them if the rust came back which he reckoned it would.

I have just contacted the used car place I bought it from and rejected the car under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 as it is of unsatisfactory quality and not as described (I gave the sales person three opportunities prior to payment to disclose any issues the car had but was assured that it was completely issue free).

Now I need to wait for their formal response. Gutted as I really loved the car. It also had the annoying squeaky clutch issue but I was prepared to live with that but this issue with the roof rust is too much to take on for me.

Thanks again for the advice guys, much appreciated :)

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Definitely for the best - dealer should have flagged this

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,085 Posts
Hi, thanks for all the replies! I took it in to a reputable local body repair shop for a quote this morning. The chap looked at the issue and confirmed that it would be a very big job as the wind screen would need to be removed but agreed to give me a written quote. he came back five minutes later and said that his boss had rejected the job as it carried too much liability for them if the rust came back which he reckoned it would.

I have just contacted the used car place I bought it from and rejected the car under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 as it is of unsatisfactory quality and not as described (I gave the sales person three opportunities prior to payment to disclose any issues the car had but was assured that it was completely issue free).

Now I need to wait for their formal response. Gutted as I really loved the car. It also had the annoying squeaky clutch issue but I was prepared to live with that but this issue with the roof rust is too much to take on for me.

Thanks again for the advice guys, much appreciated :)
Sorry about that bud, not the answer you where probably hoping for but I agree with your decision to return the vehicle, I would have as well 👍
Hope it all goes smoothly for you mate

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mine has started to go like that, but early stages at the moment. Difference being mine is 3 years older with nearly 140k miles on it, so I'm not too fussed, I'll put some kurust on to keep it at bay as long as possible. 👍

·
Super Moderator
3,992 Posts
Right nuisance having to go down this route.
Nothing wrong with the 8G Civics so don't let this put you off, you now know what to look for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, the dealer has accepted the return which is a relief. It is a shame though as I loved the car apart from this one issue. I am probably going to get another although there doesn't seem to be much choice out there currently. I take it that the 8th gen Civics with the glass roof don't have this issue at all?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wouldn't bet on it, there is still a steel roof at the front where the screen sits.

Of course, good point! Yikes, not sure what to do now then. Had my heart set on another civic but don't want to run into the same problem and with the current shortage of used cars I was probably going to be distance buying. Might just have to get a cheap local run around for the time being then. Shame.

Edit: Or buy a much cheaper and older Civic so that I don't lose out too much when the roof rots.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Fairly sure the panoramic roof models don’t suffer with this. Mines a 08, not a trace of rust there.

Its the size of the rubber seal is the problem isn’t it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts