2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my 2010 Civic Type S – GT for just two weeks so the following review constitutes my initial opinions of this wonderful 2.2 diesel unit (un-biased?!).

From the inside out...

When entering the Civic, the first impression is just how solidly everything is put together. The long doors on the 3Dr model shut with a satisfying thud; the seat is firm but supportive. Once inside, fiddling with the myriad of buttons and switch gear reveals well-weighted controls which will function, I’m sure, for the next several hundred thousand miles without complaint! The driving position can be adjusted a thousand ways to achieve the perfect setup. The pedals are perfectly in line with the steering controls – the accelerator is attached to the floor (as in the classic BMWs) giving superior throttle control.
Inserting the key and twisting twice lights up a futuristic display panel, which although heavily styled, is as functional as any other. The multifunction computer displays all the vital information about economy, range, average speed etc. To the right of the steering wheel is the big red start button...
Click and hold and the engine fires into life very quickly indeed, mine doesn’t seem to turn over at all – it’s off then on in the blink of an eye. The diesel engine is very refined on start up although slightly rattley when temperatures fall below freezing. My only criticism here is the time it takes the diesel power plant to reach optimum operating temperature which can exceed 20 minutes when the weather is particularly cold.

Pulling away...

Simply raising the well-weighted, accurate clutch is sufficient to get the Civic moving, even on an incline. Applying some throttle, the engine barely stirs as second is selected about 10 MPH. Pushing slightly harder reveals masses (and I mean masses) of torque in every gear. My particular car has done 500 miles now and has been incredibly responsive (with no flat-spots) from collection. Optimum pull, in my experience can be generated in 3rd and 4th for overtaking on slower roads, however even in top gear; there is no lack of urgency.
In 6th gear at 70MPH the car is doing all on 2,000 RPM and the gearing is such the torque is available right at this point making overtaking a breeze. What is surprising is that this engine likes to be revved a little more than most other diesels as the shift indicator regularly tells me to shift down!

The cold-hard facts....

Current MPG (mostly country roads and town) – 45MPG
Current miles / tank (only one tank to go on!) – 485Miles
Rattles - None
Happiness – 10/10!

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
glad you like it mate, im v impressed with the diesel variant. had a few quirks but nothing of note and v happy also.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
You're a very lucky boy.
I'll be getting a 2010 car...in about 2014 ! lol

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
The overtaking ability on motorways is surely brilliant -good enough to surprise drivers of bigger cars!

Good luck and happy motoring :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ohhh how exciting! Thanks for the review it's really wet my appitite! I have just ordered my 1st Civic Type S GT in diesel so I am now very excited to get my hands on it and get out on the road!!!!!! Anyone who sees a silver Type S GT flying around anywhere over the next few weeks with an exstatic female behind the wheel - it's proberbly me!!!!!:D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ohhh how exciting! Thanks for the review it's really wet my appitite! I have just ordered my 1st Civic Type S GT in diesel so I am now very excited to get my hands on it and get out on the road!!!!!! Anyone who sees a silver Type S GT flying around anywhere over the next few weeks with an exstatic female behind the wheel - it's proberbly me!!!!!:D
Purely from a research point of view were gonna need a picture of the car (and u!) Once you get it of course...

:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well i will see what i can do! I went to see the car yesterday to agree that I was fine with it all and now I am going to pick it up over the weekend!! It is soooo beautiful! Is it possible to be in love with a car?!!!!

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Well i will see what i can do! I went to see the car yesterday to agree that I was fine with it all and now I am going to pick it up over the weekend!! It is soooo beautiful! Is it possible to be in love with a car?!!!!
Very possible!
I pick mine up tomorrow (same model different colour!) and I can't wait either! Seems like I have been waiting for ages!
Enjoy your car!!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I'm on my 3rd Civic 2.2 Now and my current S GT is the best yet

Done 40K now and had a few small niggles but soon put right by the dealer

Looking to change again before OCT when diesel is EOL

Now the paint.... thats a different matter......:(

·
Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
2,653 Posts
What does EOL mean? (forgive my ignorance!)
This, I presume

End-of-life (EOL) is a term used with respect to a retailed product, indicating that the product is in the end of its product lifetime and a vendor will no longer be marketing, selling, or promoting a particular product (source- Wikipedia!)

Know something we dont Henbury?!?

·
Registered
1 Posts
my new type s

just collected a 2011 ex demo type s gt t after having owned 2 vw scirroco`s and four golfs over the last 20 odd years, picked up the civic and drove it home from the garage, 230 miles and loved every minute of it!slowly getting used to the controls for sat nav/stereo(pioneer) only little gripe ,the switch gear lighting is a bit dim still i`m looking forward to the summer in my new honda.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts