2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my Civic serviced today and asked the dealer if we can have our model updated to the 2013 software. They didn't think so and hadn't heard anything from Honda about updating 2012 software. Has anybody else asked about this or know if this can be done?

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Alan.
I seem to recall reading on here that an upgrade was not going to be possible.
What is it that you think has been improved that is not available on the 2012 model?
I am a little frustrated with the minor changes to trip details, but other than that, everything seems to be improved.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know all the details but I know the new model has coming home/leaving home headlights, few mods to i-mid features. These alone I would like but I would think there are others. We may be able to get an update later but according to the dealer there is no offer from Honda at the moment. :(

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Tbh... Honda could do it... But won't because they are lazy and/or greedy! They don't really understand customer loyalty :( wouldn't hurt them to offer it to us early adopters who gave them some free advertising by having our cars on the road! Eh Honda!

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of leaving this thread for a week or so to see what other 2012 purchasers have to say then perhaps sending an email to Honda to see what they have to say.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might be able to pass judgement if I knew what was different about the 2013 software.
You have got the 2012 model which we know about. It would be good to hear from those that have just got their 2013 model to see what the changes are.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,255 Posts
You have got the 2012 model which we know about. It would be good to hear from those that have just got their 2013 model to see what the changes are.
The changes, subject to model are:

• Fixed iMid - When the iMid is on the instant fuel screen you can now rotate round the sub options without having to stop, handbrake on, and go into the settings. You can now change from tank range, average mpg, average time, etc whilst on the move.
  • Front and rear parking sensors on the EX
  • DAB+ (both flavours of DAB reception to cover Europe I guess)

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The changes, subject to model are:

• Fixed iMid - When the iMid is on the instant fuel screen you can now rotate round the sub options without having to stop, handbrake on, and go into the settings. You can now change from tank range, average mpg, average time, etc whilst on the move.
  • Front and rear parking sensors on the EX
  • DAB+ (both flavours of DAB reception to cover Europe I guess)
Do you also have the coming home headlight option?

I thought the parking sensors were on the 2012 EX.

The iMid changes are what most people want and would only need a software update. Will get in touch with Honda once I find an email address.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,255 Posts
The headlight home option is apparently there but I haven't investigated that one yet, or how and when it kicks in. I don't need it because I reverse into a heated/lighted garage and then exit via the rear.

I don't think the EX had the sensors as standard, only the EX GT.

And - I'm 99% sure the iMid update cannot be retrospective.

TBH I can see the front sensors being a pain because when reversing into a tight spot all 4 corners are going off. You only really need the rear ones when reversing. Just glad the off button is nice and big as I can see them going 'off' when I'm driving, otherwise they'll be giving it some at traffic lights and other queues.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the info regarding the iMid. I am just sending an email to Honda to see what they say.

As for the parking sensors. I have them on mine and haven't really had a problem. They do go off sometimes when one is close but surely that is what they are there for. :)

Update.
Email sent to Honda Customer Services. Will wait to see if they respond.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Re, parking sensors on the 2012 EX.
I dont have sensors (which I prefer) just the camera.

Will be interesting to hear what Honda have to say about updates.

·
Pothole Surfer
162 Posts
The headlight home option is apparently there but I haven't investigated that one yet, or how and when it kicks in. I don't need it because I reverse into a heated/lighted garage and then exit via the rear.

I don't think the EX had the sensors as standard, only the EX GT.

And - I'm 99% sure the iMid update cannot be retrospective.

TBH I can see the front sensors being a pain because when reversing into a tight spot all 4 corners are going off. You only really need the rear ones when reversing. Just glad the off button is nice and big as I can see them going 'off' when I'm driving, otherwise they'll be giving it some at traffic lights and other queues.
I have the front and rear parking sensors plus camera, and i've never had a problem. If your sensors go off while your in traffic, then your one of those people who get right up the trumpet of the car in front, in which case yes, they will beep. Mine only really tell me when i'm about 2 feet away from something in front of me, whereas the back ones have a further reach. I have noticed that the rear camera is quite deceiving though, things look much further away on screen compared to out the rear view mirror :eek:

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
As far as i'm aware (and in response to earlier questions on here) the 2013 update for the I-Mid isnt (and wont be) available on 2012 models. Don't ask why.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As far as i'm aware (and in response to earlier questions on here) the 2013 update for the I-Mid isnt (and wont be) available on 2012 models. Don't ask why.
Thanks, the answer I am expecting from Honda. If so then perhaps more 2012 owners on here should contact Honda to ask why.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,255 Posts
I have the front and rear parking sensors plus camera, and i've never had a problem. If your sensors go off while your in traffic, then your one of those people who get right up the trumpet of the car in front, in which case yes, they will beep. Mine only really tell me when i'm about 2 feet away from something in front of me, whereas the back ones have a further reach. I have noticed that the rear camera is quite deceiving though, things look much further away on screen compared to out the rear view mirror :eek:
My only issue with the front sensors is that they give off a very misleading series of beeps when you are reversing into a garage.

Initially you just get the rears, as expected, but as you enter the garage, both the fronts pick up the garage door frame and it's pandemonium as I am probably only about 6" away from the left side and a 1½ foot from the right so both sides are giving off a 'red' warning!

I think the fronts should be disabled when your reversing.

I agree with your traffic statement. They've never gone off in stationary traffic because I always stay well clear to avoid the muppets who sit in traffic with their foot planted on the foot brake instead of applying the handbrake.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My only issue with the front sensors is that they give off a very misleading series of beeps when you are reversing into a garage.

Initially you just get the rears, as expected, but as you enter the garage, both the fronts pick up the garage door frame and it's pandemonium as I am probably only about 6" away from the left side and a 1½ foot from the right so both sides are giving off a 'red' warning!

I think the fronts should be disabled when your reversing.

I agree with your traffic statement. They've never gone off in stationary traffic because I always stay well clear to avoid the muppets who sit in traffic with their foot planted on the foot brake instead of applying the handbrake.
How about when you're parallel parking and want to tuck the front in? Or how about on a hill when you are still in reverse gear but with your foot on the clutch and allowing it to roll forwards?

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Tbh... I have got used to mine. Yes the car beeps more and was annoying at first, but they are usefull. The only time they annoy now is when a bike pulls up close to me at the lights.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,255 Posts
How about when you're parallel parking and want to tuck the front in? Or how about on a hill when you are still in reverse gear but with your foot on the clutch and allowing it to roll forwards?
What's a clutch ? :popcorn2:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts