2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys

I am looking to upgrade my 2.2 CTDi EX to a 9th Gen 1.6 DTEC EX, probably 2013-2015.
I have a few questions regarding the 9th Gen and I would be very grateful for any input:

I have read on various forums that many 2014 1.6 DTEC owners are achieving considerably less mpg than the 2013 model. Is this a myth? Or is there any substance to this? Can any 2014 owners or anyone else confirm please? It does seem unrealistic as it's the same engine!

My second question concerns the infotainment unit fitted in the EX models, from 2013-15.
From my research, I think the model fitted on the EX between 2013-15 was the Premium Audio Gracenote unit? If this is correct, can anyone confirm that they all have DAB? Also, was the reversing camera an option on the EX or standard? I would also be extremely grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction to a download link for unit manual.

Regards
shaft.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I don't have an EX but a 2015 SR Tourer

My understanding is that anything from around March 2015 will have the Android based head unit - on mine at least this has DAB. I assume this is the same on a EX, probably the EX has better / more speakers

My long term consumption is around 56mpg according to the car, I've never done a brim-brim type calculation so dont know how accurate that is. My wife does a lot of short journeys but we also do regular long trips as well so the use is pretty mixed. Generally economy falls away on the motorway above 70mph, the 1.6 seems at its most economical at lower road speeds perhaps unsurprisingly. I can't say if this is any different to an earlier model as I've only owned one Civic.

My car had reverse camera as standard so I'd assume a EX of the same year would as well

One thing I would say though, my March 2015 car (although a facelift) is only EU5. If you're looking at 2015 models I'd be inclined to look for a mid-2015 on car as these will be EU6

Hope this helps in some way

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Sasquartch

Many thanks for your informative reply.
I suspect, on reflection that I will be limited financially to either a 2013 or 14, as I am impatient and will probably save a lot of money by selling my car locally after buy a 9th Gen. I've come to this conclusion after some shocking dealer trade in offers!

Living in the far west of Cornwall means that cars can command more money here than 'up' country, as many can't be arsed to travel. :)

Regards
shaft

·
Administrator
21,100 Posts
I have a 2013 EX (petrol)

You will have the Premium audio unit as you've guessed. It's rock solid and never given me any issues.

The EX additions, over the ES is:

Leather
Heated front seats
HDD SatNav
Front and rear sensors
DAB radio, premium audio with subwoofer
Video jack / USB connection
Auto dimming rearview mirror.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,414 Posts
If you look at Spritmonitor you can see what owners are logging for MPG returns on the type year of car your after.
I'm currently 14th but looking for gold.

Obviously yours is slightly different model but you might gain some insight to the returns expected. Your driving habit and the cars previous life will also play its part.
Zero road tax? That's £130 towards fuel to offset a lower than you hoped for return if that occurs.
That 21000 miles is wrong as I'm at 13000 miles which is 21000km. Or there abouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
21,100 Posts
Your reduced road tax, and I'll raise you diesel increased servicing costs.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies Red Dwarf and Kremmen, again good advice gratefully received!

Impressive figures indeed for a petrol Kremmen, not enough to convert me though - I love my diesel :smile3:
But... You have convinced me to get another EX, not that I need much convincing on that front!

Good luck in your quest for gold RD!

Being a tech nerd I just wish I could find a pdf for the Premium Audio unit. I’ve found the SD version unit and the Connect, Sod’s law. :frown2:

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,414 Posts
If you find a late 2016 SR these at the time were the top of the range as the EX had been discontinued. The last ones of the SR had DASP as standard. Obviously your budget controls your choice but a EX from memory was keyless, different (HID?) Headlights, interior illuminated footwell above the SR. Not sure if anything else.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Kremmen

I just want to see what you can do with it, I love fiddling with tech stuff :nerd:

That will be a good read, thanks very much!

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sadly I think it will be a little out of my budget RD. I will have a maximum of around 8K to spend, else I will have divorce lawyer fees too!!

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,414 Posts

This was the cheapest EX I found from Honda at £ 12600. SR's cheaper by £2000 but your heart wants what your heart wants. Then our wallets give a polite cough cough.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,414 Posts
Found another older EX at £9500 Divorce courts here we come.
Bide your time. Lots out there don't need one with a dodgy DPF
Best of luck hunting.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How I would love that first one! I think in reality I'm looking at around 50-70K mileage wise, so the DPF will be a lottery dependent on how it has been driven.

However, a mechanic at my local Honda told me that they don't know of any DPF failures on the 9th Gen Civic's. Surely anyone from the main dealers wouldn't lie would they? :wink3:

·
Super Moderator
2,328 Posts
im trying hard to find anyone whos actually had a dpf issue with the civic
theres plenty who don't/have not owned 1 telling us they give trouble

I have cash waiting for the right car
but dealers within 150 miles of me cant keep the diesels in long enough for me to buy 1
not in the right colour/spec anyway

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,361 Posts
Your reduced road tax, and I'll raise you diesel increased servicing costs.
Ahhh! but what if you do your own servicing to a better standard than the Honda recommended? 1. you know its been done 2. you have that warm feeling inside that you're giving your pride and joy that little bit of extra TLC :kiss:

Reactions: scaramanga

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Hi, have a look at mrbcars they have a few civic to choose from. Why ex, go with se or es trim and add few individual touches - wheels, audio.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
scaramanga, I imagine you have a similar lack of locally available Civics. I am 3 hours to Bristol!!

diadulia, I will certainly keep an eye on their website, thanks. They have some nice Civics available but I do like a Sat Nav and all mod cons. I'm too long in the tooth to start adding my own extras, that's why I like top of the range.

·
Super Moderator
2,328 Posts
scaramanga, I imagine you have a similar lack of locally available Civics. I am 3 hours to Bristol!!

diadulia, I will certainly keep an eye on their website, thanks. They have some nice Civics available but I do like a Sat Nav and all mod cons. I'm too long in the tooth to start adding my own extras, that's why I like top of the range.
my local honda dealer is in a area that's well lets say is in a farming area so they have loads of crv and hrv type of stock
great dealership for customer service but they don't seam to get many civics traded in
my next closest is 40 to 50 mile away and they do get them in but don't keep them long

1 - 20 of 37 Posts