2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the big resurrection of the good old Honda mojo, have you heard anything about the 9G Accord?

I guess it's due next year. I hope it'll get the new ED engines, a CVT or a 6 speed auto and the new precision all wheel steer. That would be great. And hopefully a Type R.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Why?? Total shame to leave that segment

Apart from the reason they can't compete with the Germans in that class.
New car surely will- can only be the cost of development for UK legislation/production.

I looked at buying a estate 2 years ago before buying the Ix35. Made to order min 6 months wait put me off! But a great car the 36k/3 yrs warranty was another reason. Have done 45k in 30 months :facepalm: 5 yrs unlimited millage looks good just now!

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
am sure i have read in a motor mag that they haven't sold enough of the current accord to justify bringing the next one to the UK.

Sent from me, using tapatalk 2

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
There's no revision for europe due at the mo and due to the good ol Japanese Yen getting continually stronger, its costing more and more to import them and be able to offer the financial marketting support that it needs to compete.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
There are no plans on a new Accord due to the low/negative profit they are making out of them. This is down to the currency JPY to EURO to GBP. Spoke to parts manager at Brindley Honda about it not long ago. Shame as my 7th gen accord has been (touch wood) a mega reliable car, very well built car. That good that my misses now uses it to ferry the kids around.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ehh, so we are loosing another great car...

As an enthusiast, I feel disappointed and abandoned by Honda.

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
I'm assuming there'll still be one released in Japan? Just get one imported.

My 7th Gen Accord was a beautiful car, would own another one in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
why? because their home nations economy is too strong? bit harsh isnt it?
You may be right, but it's sad anyway. A powerful Accord would have been a reasonable step up after the FN2.

Anyway, I still hope, maybe the Acura TLX can make it here.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't understand one thing. I test drove three versions of Accord each for a week. I test drove a BMW 320d for a week and a Vauhxhall Insignia, too (for two years, I was an editor in a car magazine, so I had to be objective). Practically, there was no difference in the engine, ride, handling department between Honda and BMW, indeed, the Accord was more predictable on limit with the ESP off. Driver involvement, the fun was as good as the Beemer's, or better, with the 2.4 petrol manual. At the back, its tighter, i agree. The Insignia diesel was a harsh, slow ans sluggish car with questionable quality materials, compared to them. So how could they sell ten times as much in whole Europe of the Insignia??? Is it marketing, or Europeans simply choose german?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The Accord is restricted by:

Import limits (made in Japan)
Pricing (strong Yen)
Engine choice

The Insignia is a fleet market special and is discounted down more than the Accord. Fleet market probably accounts for most of the sales.

BMW outsells it on brand value and some very favourable tax rates on its diesel engines which are almost unsupassed for power vs Co2 output. Company car buyers love this.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Not sure if we are talking the same vehicle (that is the Accord that is based on the Acura TSX in the US or Accord Euro in Australia). If it is, then I have read in another forum that a replacement is coming but it is a long while yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
According to Motortrend:

'Ito was quoted as saying the company was working “really, really hard” on developing the Honda Accord Euro, but stopped short of revealing potential launch timing.'

·
Registered
204 Posts
Salesman at my local dealer believes that the Accord is being dropped for Europe. Good car to drive but not at all good for rear passengers so not sufficiently practical and too expensive to sell well.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
its nothing to do with the size of the car, its the ageing design and the expense of importing them here. The demand for the Accord is nigh on non existant as well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts