2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have been using Google Navigation on my phone for navigation purposes but am looking at a 2013 Civic that comes with Satnav. What is the navigation system like? I cannot really find any decent demo videos on Youtube.

I mostly care about how accurate it is with traffic, as Google Navigation is always spot on.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,003 Posts
The traffic is nowhere near as good as what you're used to because it's Trafficmaster RDS which is often 30 mins+ out of date.
Plus it only covers motorways and major A roads.

I use a Garmin with Inrix traffic for the better coverage.

I'm still glad I've got the built in unit because it's good for navigation and is integrated, mutes the audio and gives headup info in the iMid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The traffic is nowhere near as good as what you're used to because it's Trafficmaster RDS which is often 30 mins+ out of date.
Plus it only covers motorways and major A roads.

I use a Garmin with Inrix traffic for the better coverage.

I'm still glad I've got the built in unit because it's good for navigation and is integrated, mutes the audio and gives headup info in the iMid.
Thanks for that, that's exactly what I needed to know, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear!

It's a deal breaker to me TBH. I am certain that Google navigation has saved me hours at a time on journey's. I need google navigation or something that's almost as good.

Maybe then I can just look at a non-navigation model and buy a dedicated phone or tablet even for Google maps. Anything else you might suggest?

·
Super Moderator
21,003 Posts
If you're used to Google then stick with it.

If the car you find has it, no problem, have it as a backup. Wiring in a phone mount to the option connector is very easy.

I use the built in for navigation and my Garmin for traffic and PGPSW speed cameras

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I didn't go for the built in satnav. Instead i've installed waze and i cant fault it. Plenty of guides on how to do it.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electronics-ice-9g/187890-custom-apk-installation.html

its in this thread somewhere.

off the top of my head I installed a permissions app, then downloaded waze from a unofficial Honda app store.

someone else on here will probably be able to give more detailed info
I had a quick search and hacked away at it for a little while, Managed to get it going!
Had to do a factory reset first to get rid of the latest Honda updates, which were blocking the install.
I then installed Waze direct from a USB, getting the rest of the apps (including the permissions app) from CMDroid

1 - 8 of 8 Posts