2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
6341 - 6360 of 6373 Posts

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Thanks for the quick response guys. I think I will just replace pads and discs just to be sure . How do I know if the Piston is seized? Will it become apparent when winding it back? Or will it wind back anyway and cause the same issue?
Again to be safe should I refurbish the caliper also while I'm at it,although I have never done this before,so I would have to look into it?

·
Grumpy old f**k
112 Posts
Just take out the pad, clean up the calliper, wind back the piston & put it all back together, it should be fine, had the same problem on my 1.4 about 2 years ago and its fine since.

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
If it's wildly sized, you might notice when winding back, however, it's far more likely to be an issue with the slide bolts or a dirty carrier that is causing the issue.

Grab a 7mm hex bit to remove the slider bolts, some silicone grease for the slide bolts and some calliper grease for the carriers - as well as some break clean and a brass wire brush.

As above,
Pop the covers off of the slider bolts and ping the retainer springs across the drive, undo the bolts and pop the calliper off - give the metal carriers where the ears on the brake pads rest, a good brush down and you'll be sorted. Grease to taste and reinstall.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Thanks for your help guys . I found a circular piece of rubber on drive today close to car. It's definitely the dust seal from the rear brake caliper. Im guessing a full refurb is the next step. Also on further inspection of caliper the cylinder seems overly exposed ,it doesn't seem right. Has anyone any experience of carrying out a full refurb of fk2 caliper?

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
Thanks for your help guys . I found a circular piece of rubber on drive today close to car. It's definitely the dust seal from the rear brake caliper. Im guessing a full refurb is the next step. Also on further inspection of caliper the cylinder seems overly exposed ,it doesn't seem right. Has anyone any experience of carrying out a full refurb of fk2 caliper?
As with many things, I happen to have the service manual for the overhaul (Attached)

Do you have much / any pad left? As it's binding, it'll be wearing down very quickly. (Especially if you've got the piston exposed)

As the FK2 shares callipers with the regular 9G, You may be economically better served by buying some callipers from the normal car from a scrappy, and adding the lick of red paint - Then just bolt in on both sides.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Not much left on pads so I need to get something done quickly. Thanks for the manual you provided. I'm looking to do it as cheap as possible so I'm going to rebuild it. Unless of course there is any damage. If there is damage I will replace the caliper.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,355 ·

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Thanks loxy,their going to send me an email with a quote. Some price for the caliper isn't it. For example I'm sure tegiwa stock the front calipers for £299. Surely it's the rear calipers that should be considerably cheaper. Doesn't make sense

6341 - 6360 of 6373 Posts