2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Veedub
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a local dealers yesterday.... Just looking :popcorn2:I saw a 2015 1.8 SR I wasn't overly impressed with the finish and I'm of the mind Honda is really outpricing itself. The wheels they put on 9G models are totally unsuited to that car, I ended up putting some 8G Type R 18" wheels on my 1.8 EX just to make it look something. Of course I also get miffed that while most cars these day are Metallics, it seems an expensive "option "They seemed to have jiggled around with spec that is mainly standard on similar makes. Just my thoughts..... Anybody agree or disagree.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
The list price of the 2015 model has actually been reduced since last year, clearly underscoring the need to remain competitive in this segment. I also found the following article which states that Honda will be exporting the Euro Civic to North America in order to keep the Swindon plant operating at capacity:

Honda to import Euro market Civic hatch to America

Unfortunately, sales of the 9G Civic have not been that great in the UK, whether the introduction of the Type R will help this by having a halo effect is yet to be seen.

There are so many more 8Gs on the road than 9Gs and we are now half way through the 9Gs production run. It's clear that sales have not been as great for the 9G as they could have been.

The market has changed a great deal since the 2006 introduction of the 8G and the competition is now stronger than ever. I think the 9G is a fantastic car, I love mine. However Honda will need to seriously up their game for the next generation.

The Civic is a very important car because it is built in Britain and as a result directly supports our economy. I really do hope sales in the long run improve.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
The list price of the 2015 model has actually been reduced since last year, clearly underscoring the need to remain competitive in this segment. I also found the following article which states that Honda will be exporting the Euro Civic to North America in order to keep the Swindon plant operating at capacity:

Honda to import Euro market Civic hatch to America

Unfortunately, sales of the 9G Civic have not been that great in the UK, whether the introduction of the Type R will help this by having a halo effect is yet to be seen.

There are so many more 8Gs on the road than 9Gs and we are now half way through the 9Gs production run. It's clear that things have not been as great for the 9G as they could have been.

The market has changed a great deal since 2006 introduction of the 8G and the completion is now stronger than ever. I think the 9G is a fantastic car, I love mine. However Honda will need to seriously up their game for the next generation.

Really interesting thanks for that info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Veedub
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it makes good reading. I don't believe that we can say that the price for the 2015 car has been reduced because they have changed the specs of the new car to prevent a true like for like comparison to be made on all but the base model. I have an EX which is in no way truly comparable with the spec advertised for the 2015 model which is an EX Plus, they have taken some things out and replaced them with others. While I agree the car looks great, it hasn't gone the quirky design of the 8G models therefore not appealing to the younger generation which the 8G clearly is. I believe that is why we see far more 8G on the road, and the car was discontinued over 3 years ago.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I also have an EX, the EX is now the SR and what was the EX GT is now the EX Plus (changes in the name of the trim levels occurred last year).

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
I believe the main reason for 9G sales being slow is the look from the rear with the rear lights, lets be honest here only a mother (or he designer of this) could love it. I will also admit that this has grown on me a little over time but for sure I feel and sure many others do that this is just to far out there and the main reason the car is not selling as good as the 8G as for sure the 9G Civic is a massive improvement otherwise.

I will also add when talking about car styling look at a Fiat Multipla another pig ugly car that should never have made it past the first drawing never mind the managers office to be approved for production and the sales figures will reflect this. I guess this is like the Golf thing very bland and dull but also not offensive to the eye and widely credited of why they sell so well due to the basic but clean styling and why since the arrival of the MK3 the styling has not changed much at all for over 20 years.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Agreed, the 9G is let down by the rear styling. I did not like it at all the first time I saw it. However, the fact that it was a Honda and looked cool from all other angles allowed me to see past it and you are right it does grow on you. The facelift has helped slightly, but it is still what it is. However the 8G design was just amazing all round and so different. I hope Honda stick with the unconventional for the next generation, the last thing we need is another Golf! it is a shame as the Civic is a fantastic car.

As Nitehawk says above, it's important that the car appeals to the younger generation. Wow, saying that makes me feel old! (I'm now in my early 30s btw). The development of the Type R and S are important for this.

I vividly remember the first time I saw a 8G and a 9G and my reactions were quite different. The 9G has really grown on me though, I'm even considering buying a facelift next year to see me through to the second year of production of the 10G!

Ps, I'll add that just because the 9G has grown on me, it does not mean I like the rear! I accept it, but it's always in the back of my mind.

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
I'm even considering buying a facelift next year to see me through to the second year of production of the 10G!

I suspect in the background Honda will already be well advanced on a 10G design and that this will hit the showrooms around late 2017 - early 2018, if I was you and thinking of buying a new one I would wait a little longer and go for the 10G or a last 9G when they clear the stock for the 10G models but for me a 10G will be a must as they will have the new Turbo units and I hear the HRV also gets the new 1.5 turbo that is only around 8BHP short of the 1.8 we have yet will be very strong at low revs with the turbo and a lot better on fuel. Truth be known if these are well speced we may go for one but suspect being based on a Jazz chassis the dash layout etc will be more basic :(

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Agreed, the new turbo units will be interesting. Really hope the 10G is a stunner and Honda and our Swindon plant do really well with it. Keeping fingers crossed!!!

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,405 Posts
When you look at the standard kit on a Civic and compare that with a similarly specced (say Golf) the Golf, because you have to add options to match specs, is often more expensive.

When I got my 59 plate Civic EX-GT I did exactly that exercise with a Golf and the Golf was quite a bit more expensive like for like. Plus adding the host of extras meant a lengthy wait.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Unfortunately Honda seem to want to tell us what we want rather than actually listening to what we want for me I wanted another Civic but MPG whilst being important was not the only option. I found the 1.6 did not have enough power for my taste and you need to add styling packs and 18 alloys to get it anywhere near looking decent by which time massively overpriced. Higher BHP Diesel plus return of the TYPE S and hopefully one day I will return to Honda again

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Unfortunately Honda seem to want to tell us what we want rather than actually listening to what we want for me I wanted another Civic but MPG whilst being important was not the only option. I found the 1.6 did not have enough power for my taste and you need to add styling packs and 18 alloys to get it anywhere near looking decent by which time massively overpriced. Higher BHP Diesel plus return of the TYPE S and hopefully one day I will return to Honda again
Pretty much my take on things, I have the 9G 2.2 but I've very reluctant to lose power by getting the 1.6 diesel or 1.8 petrol. I'm intrigued by the 1.6 diesel in the new CRV with 160 bhp, put that in the face lifted 9G and I'm a future customer.

Re the looks of the 2012/13 9G, while the rear lights are odd it doesn't detract the overall package in my opinion. It's different and it's funky, I think the 9G Civic is far more attractive than a Golf/Focus/Astra etc. The 8G Civic is still the best looking hatch ever though, every time I see a Type R I still find myself staring in admiration.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I think the 9G Civic is far more attractive than a Golf/Focus/Astra etc
Absolutely, without question.

The Civic's design is interesting and really stands out, it's wonderfully sleek and aerodynamic and I think it looks stunning from most angles.

The interior styling is really cool (I love the wrap around split level dash) and what's wonderful is how well built and practical the car is too. It's not just another box on wheels and that's really important.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
VAG have much more buying power than Honda and Honda cars are more reliable.

Seems logical that the Honda will cost more than some VAG rivals

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
VAG have much more buying power than Honda and Honda cars are more reliable.

Seems logical that the Honda will cost more than some VAG rivals
Well buying power wins over reability in short terms economy and short terms economy is ruling the world these days, that is the facts like it or not!!

·
Veedub
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One thing we are all missing, in my opinion, Hondas lose their value far more quickly than Golfs.... I dislike the Golf but the Focus is readily comparable in spec to the 9G

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hondas hold there value well. I could have saved a couple of thousand if I went with the equivalent Ford or Vauxhall offerings at three years old. Decided I wanted something reliable and the Toyota offerings are just too dull so choose a Honda. Golfs are over priced secondhand so decided against them. Fingers crossed it stays reliable :)

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
There are so many more 8Gs on the road than 9Gs and we are now half way through the 9Gs production run. It's clear that sales have not been as great for the 9G as they could have been.
Actually, sales of 5dr 9G's after 3 years is almost like for like compared to 5dr 8G's... It's 3dr sales they have lost out on

1 - 20 of 21 Posts