2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I seem to have an issue where sometimes when putting my foot on the acelerator the car doesn't accelerate as quickly as it should. It can feel laboured and then eventually pick up. Is this a fault or something that can be rectified in a service? The car is under warranty so would rather get it fixed now if possible.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Hi All,

I seem to have an issue where sometimes when putting my foot on the acelerator the car doesn't accelerate as quickly as it should. It can feel laboured and then eventually pick up. Is this a fault or something that can be rectified in a service? The car is under warranty so would rather get it fixed now if possible.
What’s the rpm when you put your foot down? These 1.6 engines have a turbo lag on low rpm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,387 Posts
Maybe you're expecting too much from too high a gear at low speeds?. If it feels like it's labouring that suggests you're in too high a gear. You can drive at 40 in 5th but don't expect rocket acceleration if you floor the throttle, you'd need to drop it to 4th or 3rd.

·
4,586 Posts
Google about how a turbo works to increase your understanding. It will then be pretty obvious why your car does this from low revs. It's normal to get this effect on to a lesser or greater extent from a turbo engine.
Basically, low revs=not much exhaust gasses=low turbo speed = low boost. As the revs go up, the exhaust gasses increases, thus the turbo increases speed = more boost until turbo has reached max boost.

·
Super Moderator
1,949 Posts
It's only a 1.6 engine tuned for economy - what do you expect?
If you want instant urge go get a BM330D with 245 HP and a 3 litre engine

·
4,586 Posts
He doesn't expect a flat spot when he puts his foot on the accelerator according to post #1

·
Super Moderator
1,949 Posts
Yes but gives no detail of what gear or revs this "failure" occurs at

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All, sorry i keep missing the notifications, so it happened this morning so the engine was cold (however i've had it when at normal temp) I was in second, put my footdown around 1k revs and it laboured until around 2k which it very slowly climbed to. It then felt like the turbo kicked in.

I'm pretty sure i've experienced it in higher gears as well so i'll pay a bit more attention.

·
Super Moderator
1,949 Posts
That sounds "normal" to me.

I had 2 BM 1 series diesels and the power band was quite narrow, cut in around 1750 rpm and fizzled out at 3000.
1000 rpm is not much above tickover so I would not be expecting any real rush by flooring it there.
You only have 120HP, my BMs had 143 & 184 and i still experienced it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its not consistent though, if it was every time i drove the car then fine but I could drive it the same way a few times and i'd only experience it maybe two times in 10. Could it be something to do with ERG valves? I had a vauxhall once that completely lost power and it was apparently the ERG valves. However that was a complete loss of power. This just seems more about the general performance

·
Registered
356 Posts
You should not experience any flat spots, my 1.6 certainly doesn't have any

Eco mode slightly dulls the throttle response but if you have an inconsistent response then that might indicate a fault

If it's under warranty get it to a dealer for investigation

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I get a free service in Jan, I guess i could leave it until then and mention it. I've taken it back to the dealer a few times already. I expected better to be honest.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I get a free service in Jan, I guess i could leave it until then and mention it. I've taken it back to the dealer a few times already. I expected better to be honest.
It's always worth gettings these things checked out just in case, but I don't see anything jumping out from what you've described - for me personally it was a very welcome boost from my previous 1.8 petrol civic (non-turbo) and I find it to have way more punch when putting my foot down! As others have said, playing around with driving style to work out which rev-range works best for pull will help. You mention 1K revs and no power - that's really low revs! I'm not surprised you didn't get much response! 2K - 3.5K in my opinion is the main power band, so keep that in mind. Sounds like you are changing gear too early. And don't even think about touching that evil green enonomy button! Ignore it, pretend it doesn't even exist - it makes the whole driving experience dull and sometimes difficult even.

I have also got myself a BlueSpark Box (Pro + Boost I believe) which will help with the sort of things you're looking for. Look into it - plug and play option so the car can be returned to stock at any point and there's no need to do anything special to the car to have one. Buy it online, fit the box and enjoy the extra power it provides. Plently of people on here have fitted them - there's whole threads dedicated to which settings work best etc... Or if you don't mind a more permanent solution, you could always look at a re-map?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, interesting points you raise. Firstly I have struggled with the gearing. Its the first 6 speed box i've had so i assume the ratios are a lot different to what i'm used to so maybe i need to carry on checking whats going on. Also i've had the eco button on since I bought it. I shall try turning it off and see how it behaves.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update, since turning off the eco mode I think the car drives better. it feels less lumpy and ironically its also doing about 5mpg more than before. The only caveat to that is I did fill up at BP rather than the usual Asda so possibly the fuel.

·
Super Moderator
1,949 Posts
Eco button might explain a lot.
If you were giving it welly to try and compensate for "lack of performance" that would stuff your MPG.
give it a few tanks of BP Ultimate diesel rather than the BP standard and see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Eco button in the 1.6 Dtec doesn't do anything to the throttle response - it just turns down the AC and gives you the light show.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Certainly feels nicer to drive since i've turned it off but as i say, it could be the fuel. I'll see how it runs for the next few weeks.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,434 Posts
In both and first you don’t get much unless you push up the revs but get into third and wooomph. Mine always feels like I’m towing a HGV until I get into third. I do worry one day some idiot will out accelerate me and rear end me. But I do drive for economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
21,244 Posts
The only advantage with Eco mode is the pretty multi coloured dash lights. Shame they couldn't have linked them directly to the instant mpg bar.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts