2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I thought it would be just good to share what has happened with a nice new 2018 Honda Civic. First of all, I still like Honda, as it is now.

The car is 2 weeks old, it has only 1000km. YES, it has the all mighty GPF (gasoline particulate filter), it was not a secret, i knew when i signed the papers to buy the car.

So, on the highway at about 110km/h speed, i got a mild "beep", with the yellow "engine" symbol on, and few safety and comfort features warning as well (ACC,LKAS,CMBS...). I experienced some loss of engine performance too, quite a strange feeling. I parked the car and call the assistance, the car got towed, i received a rental car to carry on the journey, but i got a really bad feeling about it.

So far that how the things at, tomorrow the service will call me what is situation with the car, updates coming on...

I just really hope it is not the GPF, because i really do not want to experience all the same problems as on a diesel DPF.

(P.S.: the trailer driver dude told me: that is the first Honda he was towing in 10 years... It is not good to be first...in that case.)

All the best, in few days i will write what is going on.

Cheers.

·
i-Vtec
2,582 Posts
That's not so good. Did you try turning it off and on again and seeing if the power was restored?
Personally I cant see GPF's causing the same issues as DPF's as the burnt fuel residues are the total opposite and very marginal compared to the ash produced by Diesel Oil.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I tried one restart after a reasonable break. But the yellow engine symbol was back right from the start. I have read the manual, it said something exhaust system malfunction can be associated with this. I hope you are right about GPF, that is just a assumption for now, my bad carma from Diesel Accord. I would be happy to get the car back with a quick and easy fix, then forget about that small glitch. Fingers crossed it is not the GPF... ?

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
That's not so good. Did you try turning it off and on again and seeing if the power was restored?
Personally I cant see GPF's causing the same issues as DPF's as the burnt fuel residues are the total opposite and very marginal compared to the ash produced by Diesel Oil.

Plus petrol burns a lot hotter than diesel which to be fair is the problem with a DPF due to you need to generate heat for them to work correctly

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got back the car today. You Guys were right about GPF, it will never produce the same result as the diesel stuff. It works just fine so far.
So the problem was "some" turbo load pressure setback. Probably just for a second or two. The engine reduced performance for safety reason, then the malfunction remained on. I started to restart the engine but just only once, they said after a couple restart than driving, the error could have been gone by itself. But you never know. Other thing to mention, if you see only the yellow engine symbol, you can continue driving the vehicle to a certain distance to make it back home... But the assistance not a but option anyway.

To sumarize things: That malfunction can happen, no need to worry about it, it most probably won't came back again. It has happened on other Civic's as well in EU. Strict monitoring system issues hopefully...

Anyway thanks for the feedback, it was not the GPF, just some minor(?) things. (at least i hope for never see that again on a HONDA)

All the best, i will share if i have anything...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts