2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Yesterday I used Garmin Express to download the latest set of maps; overall from start of process to getting everything on the car it took over 1hr15mins - so give yourself plenty of time!!!!!!

I noticed when observing the file names being loaded that one of the big ones seemed to be about 3D images, maybe these were images for landmarks etc?

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Hi,

Yesterday I used Garmin Express to download the latest set of maps; overall from start of process to getting everything on the car it took over 1hr15mins - so give yourself plenty of time!!!!!!

I noticed when observing the file names being loaded that one of the big ones seemed to be about 3D images, maybe these were images for landmarks etc?
Any info on how to do this please?

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are some steps which may help:

I have Garmin Express running on laptop which is their tool for providing map and software updates; I downloaded this from the Garmin website after completing an initial registration.

I took a newly formatted USB stick (min 16GB) plugged it into the socket under the armrest and from the Navigation screen selected "settings" - "device" - "update map". This puts a small file onto the USB indicating the version of map installed.

Take the USB stick, put in laptop, fire up Garmin Express and it will tell you if there is a new update available.

If there is then you can choose to down load all the compressed files, rebuild them and install on USB (all done automatically).

Take the USB and stick back in car, go back to "update map" and it will automatically load. If it is going to take a long time you might need to run the engine to maintain power in the battery. This time the loading of the maps in the car took about 15-20mins.

Hope that all works.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Did mine today, took about 3hrs to download from Garmin and 15 mins in the car to update.

Many thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Still no update for my Swedish bought Civic X
Thought it would be the same maps for all of Europe but obviously not :-(

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Did mine tonite. 1 Hour to download and 15 mins to update. I see Garmin have not caught up with the new Mersey crossing then! Guess I will still be swinning across after driving on some grassy bits for another year:grin2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just done mine successfully using the info from the link below. 1hr 50mins to download on Plusnet's fibre broadband and 15mins to install in the car. Pity they don't tell you what the changes are.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yup got it done today too.
5 minutes download, 35 minutes copying to USB Drive so 40 minutes total with Garmin Express and then 15 minutes in the car.
All in all pretty good considering the time it takes for most that write about it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,
I wonder if there will be another update to take account of the proposed changes in French speed limits - approval expected in Jan 2018???????

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,307 Posts
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

The above is what my cat thinks on the subject after standing on my keyboard, had to have her say? It's not my opinion.

Anyway, was coming back from Edinburgh to Glasgow yesterday and according to my Honda / Garmin SatNav, from just before Newhouse I did some severe cross country? Anyone know how often the Garmin update the software? There's also a roundabout near me that's been there for 2yr and still isn't showing on Garmin.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
i think map is updated yearly, but software seems to get updated every few months.

·
4,176 Posts
Garmin maps are updated 3 or 4 times a year for the PNAs. If this is not the case for the car nav then I will be a bit disappointed.
Thoughts: I wonder if you can use the PNA maps in the car nav?

·
Registered
719 Posts
They might be updated up to 4 times a year for Garmin PNAs but they are updated once a year for Garmin app that is available in Honda cars. In theory you could use PNA maps but they are protected with a certificate and you would see "Can not unlock maps" or similar error.

·
4,176 Posts
Does the G10 Garmin satnav have to be registered or anything with Garmin by the dealer?
I have tried to update and all GE tells me is that the Software version is 3.01 but it doesn't offer the 2018 maps for loading.
I am used to using GE and my Garmin satnav so I don't think it is anything wrong at my end.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts