so back in to neutral foot off clutch back on and in to 2nd all is fine
at first i put it down to its a new gear box maybe thats the problem
but after 500 miles and it happerning at any revs hot or cold engine
its going back to honda on monday
is anyone awere of this issue or is it just my car

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Hi mate, hope your okay, yes, this is likely linked with a common fault on the Honda civic (no one ever manages to get away from them).... I wouldn't worry, it will be covered.

Tell the dealer, that you believe it to be the syncro that needs changing over, 2nd and 3rd syncro from your description... They should replace them and you'll be back on track.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im not to worried
as it will be covered by warrenty
but nowing my luck it wont happern whilst at the dealers
apperently the mechanic is comeing for a ride with me for an hour to see if it can be reproduced
thats a new one on me
usally you get left at the dealership and watch your car get ragged off by someone else

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
im not to worried
as it will be covered by warrenty
but nowing my luck it wont happern whilst at the dealers
apperently the mechanic is comeing for a ride with me for an hour to see if it can be reproduced
thats a new one on me
usally you get left at the dealership and watch your car get ragged off by someone else
It's going to be a difficult one to reproduce tbh. You may have to give it to them for them to use for a couple of days. Sorry,

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Yeah everytime mines been in they've found nothing, bar the time they mysteriously had it in for 5 days after they said it'd take a few hours to sort...

Its a shame its hard to make it happen at the right time!

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im happy to let them have it for a few days
aslong as i dont get a jazz as a replacement either type r ( not likley)
or a crz as i want a go in one off them :) just to see whatthe new hybrid is like

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
my car still has this problem :(
it was faulted by the dealer and the synchro that covers 1s & 2nd gear was replaced, (apparently there are 3 synchro mesh in the gearbox, covering 2 gears each, this info i learned from relic) this fix was not successful and i'm still arguing with HUK about this......

HUK have told me that it's a quirk of the car :confused: and have only come across this problem once before,
you can read all in my thread "warranty issues" although i haven't updated it for a while, also woette started a thread "unable to stick it in gear sometimes" sorry can't link you to this !!

you may wish to read a thread by ash rage "hints and tips sheet" and check out item 4,

relic has also mentioned on here that it may be linked to engine mounts (he knows more than i ever will) so will bring it to HUK's attention tomorrow.

hyper, i wish you the best of luck getting it sorted and look forward to hearing how you got on !!

keep us posted,

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you all for the advice
with the knewdledge ive got from here if they try anything
they wont know whats hit them
and as i was trained as a mechanic before my health issues im even harder to fool
ill do some extra reading up on it before monday
i only phoned them up today and had no problems booking it in
but i will keep every one posted on what happerens

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
again best of luck !!

after my hassle with the dealers lies and honda's continuing reluctance to do anything about it i've just about given up....
and because of my hassle's a type R is now being reconsidered, may go back to ford after i try an ST

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
First 1.4 Ive seen with this issue. Also its accross two synchro sets after 300 miles? my guess is there is something else at work here. you def have the clutch down all the way?

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First 1.4 Ive seen with this issue. Also its accross two synchro sets after 300 miles? my guess is there is something else at work here. you def have the clutch down all the way?
my dad asked me the same thing lol
yes my foot is down on the clutch all the way
if it wasnt i would excpect to have problems in other gears
and it only seems to effect 2nd gear going up or down
time shall tell what honda say

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Not sure if this helps any one but here goes...

I had the same issue but it has been resolved now. I too thought it was the synchro issue, called up honda uk and demanded that they deal with it foc as the car was out of warranty. They actually agreed to this which I was over the moon about. When Honda took the car appart they found the issue to be the clutch and not the synchro.

The clutch release bearing was sticking, making gear changing less smooth and sometimes just crunch from 2nd to 3rd. Since having the clutch parts replaced (which I did have to pay for) it seems to be smoother through the whole range and I don't have the 2nd to 3rd issue any more.

Might be worth dropping it in conversation if they are scratching their heads....

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Yours is a type r though isn't it? It's potentially a different issue for the type s
They all use the same parts essentially.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Ah right, I thought the type r box was uprated! Must of read wrong. Doesn't that mean the type r syncro issue could be the same?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts