2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would write a little report (Autocar Style) on our Civic ownership experience. As we have just clocked up 3,000 miles I thought it was a good milestone.

We collected our Type S GT Diesel on the 12th December from Bristol Honda at Cribbs Causeway.

Collection

It was one of a handful of cars we have ever collected that the dealer had put in the showroom. The car had certainly been prepared to a very high standard and I have to say that the handover from the salesman was one of the slickest presentations I had ever experienced. We gave them the keys to our 197, said our good byes and off we went.

Post Purchase Follow Up

We didn't get a call from the dealer, mainly because we spoke to them in the following morning about some warranty work mentioned below. However we did get 2 phone calls from Honda UK, which I have to say is a first for any manufacturer we have bought a car from.

Warranty Work

I'm pleased to report it has only so far required one trip to the dealer. In fact my biggest criticism was that it took an awful lot of nagging to get the car back into them and at one point I was close to blowing a gasket when they failed to arrive to collect it on a pre arranged day. Finally in mid January it went in for the day. That was for a replacement trim panel damaged on delivery and a tapping noise from the windscreen. The car was returned with everything rectified.

Other Faults/Niggles

The only issue we have with the car is the much reported paint chipping. With only 900 miles on the clock it had a few large chips on the bonnet. Having said that I don't believe we have picked up any more since, so I don't think that is too bad. There are no signs of any other creaks, rattles, slipping clutches or dodgy alarms.

Fuel Consumption

So far it has consumed 8 tanks of diesel and overall has averaged 39.2 MPG. Of late she has been returning 39/40 which is helping to pull up the overall MPG. We hope that as the miles increase we start to see the consumption of each tank getting over 40 mpg, something that at the moment we have only seen twice.

Modifications

We fitted a Pipercross Panel Filter at around 2,300 miles. It does make the engine sound different and I do believe it has helped us see some marginally better fuel consumption. Other than that I can't say there has been any performance benefit. We are considering having a remap from DMS, they did our 197 and some previous diesel BMW's, but for the time being we are leaving it as it is and are waiting to see how she develops as the miles go on.

Likes/Dislikes

Overall we like the car. The only thing we think is disappointing is the steering isn't terribly precise, but in fairness that is in comparison to it's predecessor which is renowned for it's ride and handling. Apart from that it is very hard to find fault with the car.

Consumables

It has drunk 1 litre of Castrol Edge, but is very frugal with Washer Fluid, I think because of it's clever washer jets, you seam to use less fluid, unlike the company Astra which drinks about 3 litres a week.

Would I recommend to a Friend

Absolutely

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I thought I would write a little report (Autocar Style) on our Civic ownership experience. As we have just clocked up 3,000 miles I thought it was a good milestone.

We collected our Type S GT Diesel on the 12th December from Bristol Honda at Cribbs Causeway.

Collection

It was one of a handful of cars we have ever collected that the dealer had put in the showroom. The car had certainly been prepared to a very high standard and I have to say that the handover from the salesman was one of the slickest presentations I had ever experienced. We gave them the keys to our 197, said our good byes and off we went.

Post Purchase Follow Up

We didn't get a call from the dealer, mainly because we spoke to them in the following morning about some warranty work mentioned below. However we did get 2 phone calls from Honda UK, which I have to say is a first for any manufacturer we have bought a car from.

Warranty Work

I'm pleased to report it has only so far required one trip to the dealer. In fact my biggest criticism was that it took an awful lot of nagging to get the car back into them and at one point I was close to blowing a gasket when they failed to arrive to collect it on a pre arranged day. Finally in mid January it went in for the day. That was for a replacement trim panel damaged on delivery and a tapping noise from the windscreen. The car was returned with everything rectified.

Other Faults/Niggles

The only issue we have with the car is the much reported paint chipping. With only 900 miles on the clock it had a few large chips on the bonnet. Having said that I don't believe we have picked up any more since, so I don't think that is too bad. There are no signs of any other creaks, rattles, slipping clutches or dodgy alarms.

Fuel Consumption

So far it has consumed 8 tanks of diesel and overall has averaged 39.2 MPG. Of late she has been returning 39/40 which is helping to pull up the overall MPG. We hope that as the miles increase we start to see the consumption of each tank getting over 40 mpg, something that at the moment we have only seen twice.

Modifications

We fitted a Pipercross Panel Filter at around 2,300 miles. It does make the engine sound different and I do believe it has helped us see some marginally better fuel consumption. Other than that I can't say there has been any performance benefit. We are considering having a remap from DMS, they did our 197 and some previous diesel BMW's, but for the time being we are leaving it as it is and are waiting to see how she develops as the miles go on.

Likes/Dislikes

Overall we like the car. The only thing we think is disappointing is the steering isn't terribly precise, but in fairness that is in comparison to it's predecessor which is renowned for it's ride and handling. Apart from that it is very hard to find fault with the car.

Consumables

It has drunk 1 litre of Castrol Edge, but is very frugal with Washer Fluid, I think because of it's clever washer jets, you seam to use less fluid, unlike the company Astra which drinks about 3 litres a week.

Would I recommend to a Friend

Absolutely
Nice write up.
you say its used a litre of castrol ?
is that to date ?
i have done just over a 1000 miles and must be honest not checked it !
sould i be ?
on my xsara 2.0 HDI only ever had it dome once a year on its service.
do modern engines drink that much oil ????

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
Its worth a check Ninja..............

Any damage to the engine that may have been prevented by the owner monitoring the oil level will not be covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most of it was consumed in the first 2,000 miles. My BMW's went through a couple of litres in the first 5-6,000 miles. Our 197 drank 2 3/4 litres in 12,000 miles. It then had a service and didn't drink a drop between then and 16,000 miles when we sold it.

My company Astra diesel is very much like your Xsara. It had a service at 60,000 miles and only needed oil (albeit a full litre) at 71,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Enjoyed your write-up. Very interesting and well set out. Autocar always seem to have a tale of woe, which you seem to have avoided so far. :)

Still waiting hear when I get mine, though I know it will be on an 09 plate, as the leasing co aren't keen to register a new car in the last month before a new reg.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Enjoyed your write-up. Very interesting and well set out. Autocar always seem to have a tale of woe, which you seem to have avoided so far. :)

Still waiting hear when I get mine, though I know it will be on an 09 plate, as the leasing co aren't keen to register a new car in the last month before a new reg.
Oooh not long now though. On Friday I saw an 09 plat Volvo drivE estate being driven on trade plates.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts