2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wondering how many other Civic drivers on here use 3rd gear as their highest gear in a 30mph area?

I appreciate it gives better control and flexibility but how many others find the same?

Cheers, Brian:)

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
There does seem to be a big gap between 2nd and 3rd I find and I am leaving it in 3rd longer than I did with my previous cars

·
estranged
391 Posts
I find I leave it in 3rd for 30mph zones too (2.2 Diesel). probably because it's usable from quite low speeds and still gives a good response.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
gonna have to start paying more attention now- I have no idea which gear I tend to use in 30 zones... :oops:

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
I use third or fourth in 30 zones. I find 4th is handy to stop you dipping over 30 too easily.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
If the road is quiet, its handy to switch the cruise on.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
A rule of thumb I was told on a driver improvement course (bad Richierich) was 2nd - 20mph, 3rd - 30mph, 4th - 40mph. In most cars the revs at those speed are not too high to deafen, but you get sufficient engine braking if you lift off. The guy who told me reckons most accidental speeding in 30mph zones comes from people being in 4th gear and the car can run away slightly

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
A rule of thumb I was told on a driver improvement course (bad Richierich) was 2nd - 20mph, 3rd - 30mph, 4th - 40mph. In most cars the revs at those speed are not too high to deafen, but you get sufficient engine braking if you lift off. The guy who told me reckons most accidental speeding in 30mph zones comes from people being in 4th gear and the car can run away slightly
See I've never found this in 4th in the civic, but if I am in 3rd, a slight touch of the throttle can take you from 30-33 quite easily.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I don't mean by accelerating, I mean the car in 4th gear not having the same engine braking as in 3rd. Its easier to creep over the limit with your feet off the pedal. I have never found it in any car, but the guy was pretty confident that this was the case.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Interesting.

At 30, I prefer 3rd. I know I should be using fourth, as the DSA are trying to encourage Eco-safe driving, which means always driving in the 'highest possible gear at any time'. Thats my ADI training coming in :oops: The car can cope in 4th, so in theory 4th should be used. As far as I'm concerned, 4th is under-revving the engine and could be causing damage.

Also, it is easer for the car to speed up in 4th. And as mentioned, there is no engine braking in 4th at 30.

I also want to down-shift in braking to help with decceleration, but that is a big no-no too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was just curious, as I would advise 3rd in 30 area. The manual for the Civic was the first one I have read that actually shows lowest speed for selecting 4th gear in petrol ones 31mph and 34mph for diesels. At least I think that's what it said as I don't have the manual or car to refer to now. :(

I would normally say 3rd at 30mph unless a very low powered engine and revs were sitting above 2500 or totally straight stretch of road and no apparent hazards.

Most modern day cars sit better at 30mph in 3rd gear. Many drivers are doing about 35mph in a 30 area when they are about to slip it into 4th ;)

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
So, just to clarify, for petrol

3rd feels more "correct" at 30mph, but I occasionally use 4th as slight variations in speed 28-31mph are more easier to do on the throttle (more travel).

All indicated speeds, btw.

·
Registered
336 Posts
So, just to clarify, for petrol

3rd feels more "correct" at 30mph, but I occasionally use 4th as slight variations in speed 28-31mph are more easier to do on the throttle (more travel).

All indicated speeds, btw.
I use 5th in a 30 - Petrol, better for the economy.

Ian

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
I use 5th in a 30 - Petrol, better for the economy.

Ian
I think you'll be doing your transmission a favour, if you use 3rd or 4th.
In 4th the consumption between 5th will be negligible. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
What gear would the ishift be in?

From what I can work out from my little experience is it gets into the highest gear it can get away with in 'Auto' mode

1 - 20 of 45 Posts