2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you've all probably heard this a million times but its starting to annoy me.

Ive only had the car a couple months so it will probably get worse in the cold weather. At the moment sometimes it needs an extra notch to go into 3rd. It hasn't done it when the car is fully warmed up after 15 mins or so. Also its only 2nd to 3rd, down-shifting or 2nd to 4th is fine, and it doesn't grind or pop out. Does this sound like the syncro issue?

The most annoying part about is my car is on 58 plate, I thought it was only 07 cars, I looked inside the passenger door and I think the MY says 2007. How was it sat for a year before finally been sold?:confused:

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
I've seen several people suggest trying some Amsoil MTF oil in first to see if it helps, but if not the 3rd/4th syncromech will need replacing. Opie is the best place for the oil.

It might be worth speaking to Honda about getting this sorted under warranty, even if it's out of warranty. If I remember correctly, anything sold in the UK with a known defect is covered by a 6 year warranty on the defective part. Might wanna double check that though.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I know you've all probably heard this a million times but its starting to annoy me.

Ive only had the car a couple months so it will probably get worse in the cold weather. At the moment sometimes it needs an extra notch to go into 3rd. It hasn't done it when the car is fully warmed up after 15 mins or so. Also its only 2nd to 3rd, down-shifting or 2nd to 4th is fine, and it doesn't grind or pop out. Does this sound like the syncro issue?

The most annoying part about is my car is on 58 plate, I thought it was only 07 cars, I looked inside the passenger door and I think the MY says 2007. How was it sat for a year before finally been sold?:confused:
...don't mess about just get the sync done, if its a 2007 model i assume it will get worse over time....i am so glad i did mine...same issue, crunched occasionally going into 3rd and on the odd time it popped out. Took it straight to the dealer and they contacted Honda and it went in for new sync...gearchange perfect now and soooo much better. You could try changing the oil first quickly as some have said its cured their issue.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have a feeling Honda won't touch it as its missing a service stamp, id rather try a different brand of car than pay Honda to fix their own **** up.

I might try the oil, but surely Honda would be doing that instead of spending hundreds changing the syncros?

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
First things first, call Honda. For the sake of a phone call you may as well ask :)

·
Urban Parkour Monkey
439 Posts
My story.... I have a 2009 Type-R and have owned it for a few weeks. I noticed a slight issue with 3rd gear not being as smooth as the rest, with the occasional crunch. I rang up a Honda dealer in Peterborough 1 day before the 3yr warranty ran out and they did not want to know!!
The service guy said that he has owned 3 Type-Rs in the past and no issues on his (so that makes all civics fine then?). I said that it was a known issue and that it should be covered under warranty, to which he said that it is not a recall issue and that it only affects some cars. He stated that if the car has been tracked or ragged then it could be an issue, but if the diagnostics show abuse then it wont be covered under warranty. He said all he could do was take the car in and remove the gearbox (at my expense to check), if there is a problem then it will need to be verified to be paid out under warranty (no gaurantee). So basically he talked me out of gettting it sorted as I would have had to have paid for the gearbox to be removed, possibly a new synchro if the warranty wouldnt cover it....or..... taken out and put back in at my cost if there is no issue.

Now my warranty has run out and I do not want to deal with those muppets!!!

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
That's damn poor service. Is there no other dealer locally you could try?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is your next step? Im going to give Honda UK a call first.

I know the dealer will try and fob me off with diagnosis costs and stuff, if I can't get it repaired for free then I will start looking at other options and will not come back to the Honda brand. I am really disappointed after 4 trouble free years with my old EP3. I really enjoy the FN2 but It is let down big time by the build quality.

How long has Honda been building cars, yet they still mess up one of the major parts? its not really on.

·
Urban Parkour Monkey
439 Posts
There is Grantham Honda that I could try too. So next time I will go in with a printout of the official fault sheet I have, and try face to face, as that way they can't use the phone as a barrier.
This is not a major issue for me but it will p*ss me off over time and could do more damage. The clutch is fine as is low and not biting high so I know there is no issues there, plus the fact the car has only done 30K.
I have read quite a bit on this and some people have been very lucky, but I don't want the initial outlay to costs!!

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
FYI, Syncro issues need sorting sooner rather than later, the reason being; the magnet in the casing only collects ferrous particles and seeing as the syncro is non-ferrous these particles don't get caught. They get everywhere and can cause other issues.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Flipt, do you know the manufacture date of your CTR? it says on a plate on the passenger door.

If its not a MY2007 then I bet there's loads of CTR's with this issue, becuase I bet Honda will not touch it if its a 08 or 09. The FN2 market will be a minefield in a few years with this and rusty roofs!

·
Urban Parkour Monkey
439 Posts
My car is the 09 facelift model with the HIDs. I do know other people with 09 plates with this issue and the fault sheet I have states 2007-2011 models.
They just fob you off as they don't want to pay out, and I bet people have abused this system too. I have also run my car through the recall checker on the Honda website and there is nothing outstanding. I have also read that there are rusty roofs on 09 models too.

It's a shame that such a stunning car has such stupid faults! Paint, creaks, gearbox! Electrics are spot on!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, I kind of regret trading my EP3 in for this. The new one is a fantastic car ruined by stupid things you would expect on a 80's Lancia.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I had my 3rd and 4th synchro replaced today under warranty (08 built in 2008, used honda warranty).

Mine was very occasionally crunching into 3rd so only having driven it 3 ,miles home, can't see much diff but was good for peace of mind

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
Mines an 09 plate and have gear issues notchy 3rd, have even had it feel like its popping out as im changing took it to my dealer in january told me the clutch got this done elsewhere, still had problems they then told me there's a bearing noise so in it went they had it a whole day then rang me to say wrong oil in box so NO WARRANTY tried telling me it had differential oil in it and then told me it would overheat and has probably knackered my box up and i could need a new one :confused: only took it in for notchy changes, told them i've reported this twice he said YES for two different problems (only because thats what they told me was the problem) so told them to put the correct oil in and leave it. Dealers are a pain their only worth the stamp in the service book.

·
Urban Parkour Monkey
439 Posts
P2ULW - I thought the warranty was only for 3 years? So has your car got extended warranty? It's good to see that you have positive results after only having an occasional crunch and pop!
I would like to know what you said to make then look into this without fobbing you off?

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
I think it's fair to say that Honda UK will honor most of these claims, it sounds to me like it's the individual dealers who are playing silly buggers. They prolly don't want to carry out the work, which is daft because Honda pay them for the labour.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im going to give Honda UK a ring on Monday. Is there anything to back me up if they don't honor it, such as a fault sheet?

Compared to you guys mine doesn't seem that bad, I don't get the grinding or the popping out, but want to get it fixed before it gets worse.

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
I've rang honda uk a couple of times you get the usual "its upto the dealer to take photos and then we will decide", when i rang them about the gearbox they were helpful about starting a complaint but you have to wait 4 days before they process it, and was told again it's best to try and sort it with the dealer 1st. They will seem helpful but im afraid it may get you nowhere, worth a call though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts