2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Administrator
21,157 Posts
Nope

Could it be something to do with the way it's being used?

I say that because when I open my door I only touch/pull the black bit inside with 2 fingers (so to speak).

I wonder if we all have this weakness but by not touching it it stays put?

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Looks to me like maybe it has been put on too tight and therefore is cracking with the movement (heating/cooling) of the door. Get them to put the next one on with a little less tightness.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,758 Posts
i had exactly the same problem comming away,it stopped me getting into the car from the outside and couldn't open it from the inside.

·
Administrator
21,157 Posts
There has to something else going on here as this is the 4th replacement !!

Some of those photos show it has snapped at the post. Is someone tugging at it when parked for example?

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
Never had that happen to either of my Civics, and don't recall reading anything like it on here. As said take it to the dealers see if they have any other possible explanation for it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
yep-happend to my car too-and im 100% sure-that it wasnt my fault... i basicly never touch that cover part, i open the door by pulling the lever inside the handle... just one day i noticed that the cover was broken... went to honda-asked if i could buy the cover separately-but they sayd no-i have to buy whole handle system... its 120 euros - and... i tought no...not for now-i just fixed it with double-sided tape and it holds fine...

·
Premium Member
4,511 Posts
I noticed this fault on mine, drivers door, after cleaning. To be honest it is probably the worst quality part of the car apart from the fuel cap.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
i have the same problem with the two front door handles, the passenger door is used very little but still broke the same way, i was putting it down to frost damage, expansion of water gathering around the handles from all the defrosting i was doing as i only seen it just after the harsh winter frosts.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Driver door handle

Mine broke in the same place.Dealer says first one he has changed.Car still underwarranty and is covered by warranty.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have just bought an 09 SE and the passenger door handle is like this. Well not this bad to be honest, it's still pretty much attached but you can wiggle the entire housing round about 1cm in either direction so just feels flimsy - the door handles do feel cheap I agree.

How did everyone get on with fixing theirs? Is it easy to fix yourself or did you have to get it back to a main dealer?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went back to the dealer everytime and covered under warrenty you had to push hard tho! other wise 97+ Vat each time = ouch

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Gah.... happened to me too!

Wonder if they'll want to change it under warranty, as car is 3.5 yrs old - but I did pay for extended warranty (5 years).

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I've read numerous threads about this, and always thought it was bad luck, or people pulling too hard. I've always been careful when openning my doors after first hearing of this.
Well guess what? Today i go to open the door, and it feels wrong, look down and its broken just like your pictures.
There is a honda dealer near where i work, so im gonna check it out, 97+vat sounds insane.
What sticky tape did you use? Cos i might be going down that route lol

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Are you actually squeezing the door handle before pulling, or just pulling it and eventually breaking it?

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Squeezing first, but its just crap. As you need to pull on it everytime you get in the car. Mines broken on the driver side, the side that would get used most.

Just been to Pennie Honda in rochdale, they want £121.19 for it fitted!!
They dont sell the trim on its own.
Part number for the whole handle is 72140-SMG-E02ZD £56.19 including VAT
Labour £65.

Gonna ring a few more dealers today, but might try double sided tape instead, mines broken up to the last clip/screw joint, so its hard to get under to apply tape, should i break it off completly?

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Rang a few dealers and it's the same price fir the part everywhere. Labour varys from 45-65 pounds. The part is affordable, anyone had experience fitting one, imagine is not a simple job as you have the key mechanism on drivers side

So far best offer is from Gordons Honda in Wigan, £101.37 (vat and labour, )
Thats with a 7.5% trade discount with a Gordons Honda Privilage card.

Sigh!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine has given way as well, noticed it after I shut the door it made a strange clunking noise. Added to my list of Warranty fixes that needs to be done :facepalm:

1 - 20 of 92 Posts