2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rang up a dealer for a quote on a 4th year service on my Type R and she said its going to cost around £250

I then asked if she is doing any offers with MOT and she said they do a level 2 service for £160 with a free MOT.

I asked what the difference was and she said Level 2 is for older cars which don't have a service plan and it just doesnt have a pollen filter or a Valve clearances check.

She asked the head tech if it was necessary but he said not really, they have checked a lot and never needed anything doing so I can save my money.

Now is it really needed to be checked every 25k? what symptoms will the car make if they are incorrect? is it noticeable?

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
It all depends how many miles you've done. Is it getting near 50k?

Badly adjusted clearances can lead to valve train damage, mis-fires, all manner of stuff you don't want.

Unfortunately it seems more and more Honda Techs don't seem to grasp this.

I'm surprised they didn't try to tell you they are only due every 62.5k miles. Honda techs not being able to read the correct schedule is a common one...

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
It doesn't need them doing, the service manager was quite correct.

You would do them on the 5th year service when the car will be on a 48k. ;)

The clearances don't need to be done on the 2nd, 4th and 6th services etc. just when it reaches 25k, 50k, 75k and so on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.