2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..

Took my car (type R) to the stealers today for 4th year (44k) service & MOT. I was shown a table and the guy said it would usually be £370, but he would do it for £345 (MOT +£45)

Seems excessive to me?

I told him it seemed expensive, he told me they have to do a full oil change(!) and change some filters.. I said I know, showed him last years service receipt - oil change, filters etc.. total £200.. (total was closer to £700 as included new pads & disks all round)

I asked if they would be checking valve clearance and he said no! 4 years and still no valve clearance check?!

Thoughts?

·
BoInG BoInG
1,370 Posts
Seems expensive, valve clearance must be done @ 2yr/25K service i was told. Had mine done @ second service with about 14K on the clock.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems expensive, valve clearance must be done @ 2yr/25K service i was told. Had mine done @ second service with about 14K on the clock.
That's what I thought, looked through my service receipts and can't find any record of it being checked. Car performs well though. Will give them a call! - thanks.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update..

Called Honda (Marshall, Hessle).. told them I have no record of it ever being checked, I think DeVries Honda did the second year service.. Anyway they are checking it now.. :)

I'll compare my service receipts when I get home but I'm sure that £345 is too expensive.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
hi big, i had mine serviced at marshall hull too, 2nd service was a low mileage service, so didnt get them checked either, they said it doesnt need doing til about 6th service....

·
The Guru
4,207 Posts
I didnt have my valve clearence done on the service I had done last year as the milage was far too low to warrrent it being done. However by the time I get to the service this year I'll be having it done, but not by Honda

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
According to the maintenance schedule in the wiki - the valve clearance is to be checked every 62500 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
service

Hi I recently paid £250 including valve clearances, hope this is helpful, they also greased rear springs for this price They originally asked for more but willing to do it for less.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everybody for your replies.

The guy at my stealers told me they didn't check it (after telling me they would), he showed me the service check sheet - type r(all) 25-000miles, below that it says '2006 models onwards (civic..) 62.500miles.. basically he told me it didn't need checking until 62.5K..

I think he is wrong, to me 'type r (all)' means ALL type R's from any year.. so I will be asking them to check FOC.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Honda says valve clearance adjustment every 100 000 km. Type R 2006 - (in norway at least) Older Hondas, CR-V, Civic 02-06 every 40 000 km.

Transmission fluid every 120 000 km or 8 years.

:eek:

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Now armed with that information, you could update the wiki so it's clear that the posted maintenance schedule is for the 1.4 (L13A7) and 1.8 (R18A2) petrol engines only or add an extra row for the 2.0 petrol engine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
mines now coming up to its 4th service, im pretty sure this has never been done as the dealer near me said it didnt need doing, even after me showing them the book!

What would happen if this wasnt done on time other than a slightly tappy engine?

·
Registered
32 Posts
oh and does anyone know what they need setting to if i was to take it to another garage instead of honda or will they be able to look it up?

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
I paid 195 for 4th year service with valve clearance check

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I have heard they aren't alway doing them now but only as they are pinned down to times so only do them if noisy.
Service manual still says every 2 years or 25K.
Nothings changed in the heads since 2002 regarding the way the valves operate and we know they do move and correct setting does make a difference to performance.

All down to costs and we aren't going to suddenly stop checking them. ;)
Also interesting is when they say to change the plugs. In reality even on a lightly modified car you start to see burning on the electrodes from 20k. Again down to costs they say only need doing at 75k!

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts